portable mig

Old 01-11-03, 04:37 PM
scrapiron
Visiting Guest
portable mig

Has anyone had any experience with a spool gun outfit called a Ready Welder? It's designed to be powered by a couple of 12 volt batteries or by a DC power source. I would like to hear the good and the bad from someone that has used one. Most of my work is maintenance and repair welding out of the back of a truck.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-03, 03:36 PM
Portable Welder
Visiting Guest
Portable Mig welder

I cant help you on the battery hook up, but I can tell you I have a couple of portable migs.I dont know how much welding you will do, but if you buy the right set up I'm sure the work will find you.
I have a Miller Trail blazer 250amp portable welder and I run a S-22-P12 suit case feeder with the optional voltage controll knob.
This is how ever the top of the line and will cost you approx. $ 5,000.00.
Another way I've seen some guy do it, is to buy a Miller Bobcat engine drive which puts out 9,000 watts of power and plug the welder that you might have at your house into that, 9000watts will give you approx. 42 amps at 230 volts and when your not using it for a welder you can run your house when your power goes out.
If you have any questions I will gladly help you out.

Old 01-13-03, 07:21 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would be interested in how that would work too. I also would be interested in the hi freq alt that mounts underhood. It would be cool to have welder on pickup sometimes without carrying around big machines. About half my portable work involves a rod or 2. The wirefeed is great if you have lots or if you can run solid and gas which outside is sometimes not feasable. For me innershield wouldnt help most of the time as I dont mind sticks for what little I do but I can see if you were welding a bunch it would pay off. I am spoiled in the shop anymore and I did some little job the other day that I was wishing I had feeder on. Hate that chip and start anymore. I am just babbling here anyway.

Old 01-15-03, 07:09 PM
scrapiron
Visiting Guest
I have used my 175 lincoln mig with my gas powered stick welder successfully in the past. I am seeing more aluminum (trailers, truck beds and the occasional boat) and I felt a spool gun would work a little better. And while I am a stick welder at heart the idea of being able to carry my welder in a briefcase has a certain appeal. I'm trying to locate a supplier nearby so I can try one out.

Old 01-19-03, 08:12 PM
Skaggydog
Visiting Guest
Re: portable mig

I welded with a stick machine that ran off a car battery once. Took about a half-hour to run about 4" on 14 ga. and it was not fun. That was about 15 years ago and it only used one 12volt. I would guess the Ready Welder would be better.