Stick Welding Question

Old 02-04-03, 11:40 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stick Welding Question

Thanks to those who posted in my previous welding thread.

I've had some practice and can keep a reasonable bead going, I think.

I'm finding that the electrode is consumed much more quickly than I thought it would be. Just as a sanity check, how many linear inches of weld can I expect to get from one stick?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-03, 03:52 PM
Portable Welder
Visiting Guest
I have never judged a weld by how many inches per rod, there are to many variables, like how much penetration, is it a flat, vert up, or horizontal weld, what kind of joint is it, is it v-grooved.
I suggest you take a class, or ask one of your friends that welds to stop over and look at it or take what you welded to a welding shop and ask him to look at it and evaluate it.
A typical welding shop has a shop rate of about $ 45-60.00 per hr ask them if they would spend an hr with you and they can teach you more in one hr than you can teach your self in 10hrs.
Welding is not one of those things you can learn out of a book or teach yourself, however if you keep practicing and learn to make it smooth by yourself it will help you when you get some help, you will be familiar with it. Remember a key to good welding is make sure you have a good fitting helmet, a clean welding glass, and a long sleeve shirt, If you have to worry about your helmet falling off you cannot concentrate on your weld.
Good luck

Old 02-04-03, 04:39 PM
NutAndBoltKing
Visiting Guest
I'm not a politician who's running for office and looking for votes but that dang Portable Welder always has great advice! His tip about fitting your shield, clean glass, and long sleeves reminded me of what my grandpa always said, and it brought back some real good memories. Thanks PW! I'd just like to add that you should keep all your welding wire warm and dry. Damp rods can be a real nightmare.

Old 02-05-03, 10:07 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I agree with the posts above about getting some help. I gave some lessons last week to a friend that has trying to learn on his own and with a little help from some other self taught folks. I think he learn more in an hour than he had previously. You can practice forever but if you practice the wrong thing you will never get any better and come to that ceiling where the skill level stops. I have seen factory welders been doing it for 30 years and are not much better than they were in the first 3 weeks. They just never learned proper techniques. Another friend asked me to help him but he still insist that he was going to do it his way. Fine untill you want to improve or need to do it right.

Old 03-25-03, 09:12 PM
NutAndBoltKing
Visiting Guest
It's my experience that the variables for using up rods mentioned by PW (Portable Welder) are just the tip of the iceberg. Two prominent things will always use up a lot of rod fast; the first being tough or hard to reach joints where you have to bend the rod to reach the joint. Welders out in the field are always confronted with hard to reach joints sometimes located between a column and a pipe or behind a beam that can only be reached by bending the rod. Then, after just a few minutes and a few stitches the rod doesn't reach anymore and you need to bend a new one, and then again, and then again. Tough hard to reach spots can give the best welder fits and use up a lot of rods. The other thing that uses up rods fast is short interpass - or the time between passes for cooling. Welds should be allowed to cool between passes, but the hotter the base metals are the faster the rod will be consumed. That's why welding is a task requiring good eye to hand cooridination. Hot base metals eat up rod - just as warm dry heated rods flow better than cool ones. There are other variables that can affect rod consumption; the duty cycle of the welding machine, the length of the lead (shorter the better) and even the humidity and ambient air temperature. For some reason unbeknownst to me welding rods tend to burn slower on Monday mornings than on Friday afternoons - just kidding.