Air hose reel

Old 03-01-03, 10:36 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air hose reel

I had the air hose just wound up on service truck and it was messy, especially in cold weather. I finally build reel last night. Started , then gave up and for some reason came back with a different plan and wa la, it even better than the original idea. Couldnt buy one to fit and just cut one down to size, solved the problem. Once I got past the upside down and reverse right to left issues, sometimes its just trial and error despite our atempts to design first. Would really pay to be able to draw sometimes. I still should have bought a new ond and cut it down now that I think about it,, but of course now I have a plan,, thats the way it goes I guess, but this still looks too cool.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-03, 03:29 PM
Portable Welder
Visiting Guest
Hi sberry27 did I here you say service truck, watchya got how is it set up, I'd love to give some tips I'm just finishing my fourth truck.
The truck I drive every day is a F-550, 1999 its a flat bed with my tanks cut into it and my tool boxes built into it, ita custom one of a kind, Mine is a cross between an Iron workers truck, a pipeliners truck and a heavy equipment welders truck, Iv'e got a miller pipe pro welder on it with a S-22P-12 suitcase feeder for a mig welder, a Ingersorand gas powered compressor and a IMT crane that will reach up 28' or 20' out with a max. cap. of 6000# at 6' out or 1840# at 20' out.
I also put a rack on it that lets me carry 25' long beams on it all day long. So if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask.
As for hoses I have them all coiled on they're own hangers and I find this works good for me, the hose reels dont like to hold 200' of hose typically.

Old 03-05-03, 04:44 PM
Hose and welding cable

We put like hooks on the trucks for hoses and welding cable. When we go to wind them up we put them on the 2 hooks like a laydown 8. This way they have no twist in them ED

Old 03-05-03, 08:19 PM
S
My truck is quite complete in its own right. The only thing I need to add yet is a small crane. It is an older C60 with 12 ft utility boxes with a couple add ons on top for extra stuff, torch hose,more air hoses, leads, shovels all kinds of stuff. I have a false floor in the back for steel rack and vices. One locker for welding stuff, 4 bottle rack all enclosed. One for air tools, one locker for hand tools and another for extinguisher and more misc stuff. Drivers side is work side. Passenger side has rigging locker, chains, binders, cum alongs and misc steel. One over the wheels has nut, bolts, pipe fittings and electrical another locker has pipe threader, chop saw, blocks, porto powers jacks. Air comp is enclosed and is 20 hp engine on 4 cyl 2 stage pump with tanks under the truck. I have a GS8000 Lincoln under cover up front. Some features are electric and lead plumbed to the tailgate/bench and cord reel for electric up front. I keep about 75 ft of torch hose on and about 50 ft each of leads installed. Have more in boxes if needed. I try to get right on top of jobs if I can. Double batteries for jump starts, lights in tool boxes, large sockets and wrenches, big tray for pry bars and 2 48 inch pipe wrenches. The air hose was a pain in the ass, the leads and torches are managable. Air comp and welding are operatable from drivers side ground level. I have all the tools dedicated to this truck so I dont have to borrow for shop except 3/4 drive sockets, special cum along, etc. I just grab coffee and phone, jump in and go. I dont use it a lot, if i did I would have a newer truck if I spend all day in it. I carry lots on my pickup also for most stuff and am very tool oriented but this truck is handy for what it does, runs well and is outfitted for pit stop type stuff. I really like to get to the shop when I can but sometimes truck is the ticket. I am Ironworker by trade but really dont do it anymore and did oilfield service for a while, mostly pumping unit repairs, crane stuff. (we wanted to get crane rentals so we didnt put small crane on ) 2 trucks they had to pay for,, ha, But now my farming has become enough to take care of that I limit the outside work unless its for friends or too easy to pass up or I want to get out for a day. Really better money if I mechanic but I hate dealing with the business types whining all the time. I spend most of time in shop, I have a 80x80 fully heated building I hibernate in most of the time. You have pics of your trucks? send to [email protected] Yes,, I have a Lincoln SA200 on a trailer and another nice little one on trailer too,, but I just dont use a lot and I like a smaller machine with AC power on the truck.

Old 03-07-03, 02:05 PM
Portable Welder
Visiting Guest
Portable welder, Sounds like you have a pretty nice set up.
I like my flat bed because I dont have to climb up on the back to get every thing, however its nice to have a service body with all the storage, I have my power ran to the back of the truck also.
At the back of the truck I have a 1/4" plate 16"x 8' for a work bench,and underneath the bench I have a compartment that has flush mount doors in the work bench and most people dont even realize its there, unfortunately I call it my wet box because you can only put things like comalongs and chains because it gets wet when it rains.
I try to find shop work in the winter also, the cold weather sucks.
I dont have any pictures, but I plan on getting my truck put on the back of my new bus. cards.