What kind of welder?

Old 05-22-03, 04:34 AM
purplefish
Visiting Guest
What kind of welder?

Hi guys,

I want to be able to weld aluminium, copper, steel and stainless steel up to a thickness of 4mm.

What kind of welder would be the best for me to get, and why?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-03, 07:34 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This is actually an extremely complex question. There is really not a good one size fits all machine for this. You could actually do all this with a TIG I guess and that would allow you to easily change filler rods to match the materials. You would have to change gasses too. What type of work are you going to do? If it is something in particular or one material is the primary then there may be some other considerations. Most of the time its still a steel world.

Old 05-25-03, 03:48 AM
purplefish
Visiting Guest
The kind of work will vary, basically I want to get up and running in mobile welding. I had heard that an inverter welder might be the best option; how does this differ and would you agree?

Old 05-26-03, 01:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would pick up a diesel or gas unit from a Miller or Lincoln. Both companies offer units that do MIG, STICK, and DC TIG. If you wanted to be real trick you could also pick up a plasma cutter and use the welder as a generator for it.

Old 05-26-03, 06:20 AM
SalvageCzar
Visiting Guest
purplefish - I see that you are in Spain. What are some of the popular brand names available in Spain? Do you have easy access to American welding products such as Lincoln and Miller, or UK made units such as Federal and A1, or German made welders Aktueil and Metabo?

Old 06-19-03, 12:33 PM
jonathan_71730
Visiting Guest
welder ratings

my father was a welder as well as his father i got 14 years exp in it myself i would definitly no if's and's or but's about it get a lincoln.sounds like a miller bob-cat would suit you though just starting out don't wanna go broke before the works there and the economy is kind of shotty right now."good luck".

Old 06-19-03, 06:56 PM
SalvageCzar
Visiting Guest
Everyone has made good suggestions, but don't forget and overlook the fact that the original question was posted by purplefish, who is living in Spain, and just starting out.

Lincoln, Miller and the other machines that we are accustomed to using are certainly available in Spain, but IMHO from traveling and working in Europe and in the Middle East, I think telling someone overseas they should buy a Lincoln or Miller is just like someone telling one of us we should buy a Bentley or Rolls Royce.

Just my opinion.

Old 06-21-03, 02:58 PM
jonathan_71730
Visiting Guest
welder's

forgot about him being in spain however,i agree with you did'nt look at it that way "well said".

Old 06-23-03, 04:23 PM
Portable Welder
Visiting Guest
I dont Know what brand names you Have in spain but if miller is a common welder there your in luck. you dont want a miller bob cat if you want the capabilities of welding aluminum.
As far as if you want an inverter in a mobile unit its called a pipe pro made by miller I happen to have one and I love it the cost is $10,000.00 I recomend a miller trail blazer it can do all the processes and the cost is about $ 3500.00 and I have one of these on my other welding truck. The trail blazer can do tig aluminum and the pipe pro inverter doesnt. good luck.

Old 06-26-03, 03:50 PM
jonathan_71730
Visiting Guest
welders

Bottom LIne "Lincoln" is Superior. but, as a contractor in my opinon,he need's to either get a used welder or opt for a cheaper one that maybe can't do it all however till he get's a client base . "OtherWise" he be running all over the country following a hot-sheet as many of you already know.