Can I cut steel with a stick welder?

Old 06-25-03, 06:40 PM
Bishop
Visiting Guest
Question Can I cut steel with a stick welder?

Is there any way to use a stick welder to cut steel, is there a rod or setting I could use, I know I can melt thin steel, but is there a way to cut cleanly using a stick welder?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-03, 03:22 PM
Gramercyjam
Visiting Guest
Yes. Your welding supply will have special rods for cutting.

--John

Old 07-05-03, 09:06 PM
scrapiron
Visiting Guest
Set your welder on a high AC setting and as suggested use a cutting rod. I get by using 6011s cause I keep them on the truck and they're available. You will not get a plasma arc type cut but it's quicker than dragging out the torches for small cuts. You can clean it up with a grinder.

Old 07-07-03, 09:54 PM
WelderRobb
Visiting Guest
What material and Thickness are you planning on cutting?

You could basically use the Arc to blow out the thin metal, but you would be wasting your weld rod, and creating a lot of uneccesaary sparks, which could start a fire.

You could use a fine tooth Sawz All for Steel and Stainless, and a coarse tooth Sawz-All blade for aluminum at a lower speed!

Robb

Old 07-13-03, 01:16 PM
Portable Welder
Visiting Guest
You can use any old arc welding rod to cut steel, you did not explain how much cutting you were talking about so that I could make a good recomendation.
If it is some thing that doesnt have to be pretty strike your arc and hold the rod as far away from the pc. as you can without loosing your arc, we call it long arcing, however if your looking for torch type cuts get a torch, if your trying to remove welds then you want to use an air arc.

Old 08-08-03, 10:23 PM
alumtuna
Visiting Guest
Cleanly?

You cant cut the steel w/o grinding.

Its best to use an abrasive or band saw to cut.