fuel residue

Old 07-24-03, 11:02 PM
lonestarjeff
Visiting Guest
Question fuel residue

I need to make some minor welding modifications to my loader frame(the frame is also the hydraulic fluid reservior); Normal maintenance involves draining the fluid & flushing w/ diesel
fuel. Any ideas on getting the fuel residue out?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-03, 08:21 AM
Portable Welder
Visiting Guest
I cant stress how important it is that you make sure you get good advise about a subject like this. this is a life or death kind of question.
I myself have welded on several diesel fuel tanks over the years and have never had a problem with the fumes blowing up, I make sure to take the caps off so that it can vent.

In your case why dont you do your repairs and then clean it out with diesel, due to the problem that when you weld on the outside of the tank it may cause flakes on the inside where you welded it, expecially if it was coated on the inside which I doubt is the case.

I strongly encourage you to seek more advise in this manner.
Remember this is not the same advise I would give if it was a gasoline tank.

Advise **** Since I'm always going into different plants and welding around chemicals and coatings ETC. I cant tell you how often I've asked ( he'h is that flamable) and they say no you dont have to worry about it, but when I take a dip sample of it outside and use my torch to see for myself as to just how flamable it really is and when I come back inside and tell the guy ( He'h you were wrong ) they say wow I didd'nt think it was. I myself always check it, if I diddnt I would have been killed at least three times over.

Old 07-26-03, 11:55 AM
lonestarjeff
Visiting Guest
diesel residue

You have a good point there about doing the repairs before flushing w/ diesel; however, in this case I've already flushed the
reservoir. If I flushed the diesel out w/ hydraulic oil would I be
any better off? I don't know the flash point of hydraulic oil.

This is a particular problem because some of the welds I need to do are down in the lowest part of the frame @ the drain plug.

Thanks for the input.

Old 08-10-03, 08:02 PM
WelderRobb
Visiting Guest
When dealing with fuels and oils, it's best to make sure that you have as much out as possible.

I have a co-worker who once fixed a leaky gas tank. He filled the gas tank full of dry ice, the poor lady who was having him repair it stood across the street, but he got the job done.

Although I have never tried it, it does warrant some merit, Dry Ice dispaces oxygen and "melts" into a vapor.

In firefighting they teach the Fire Traingle (Heat-Fuel-Oxygen), take one away and no fire, and CO2 displaces it.

Robb