Installing welded wire fence

Old 07-25-03, 07:17 PM
Janis
Visiting Guest
Talking Installing welded wire fence

Hi. I am getting ready to install 150 ft. of welded wire fencing. I was wondering if anyone has any tips to share? Such as, how many feet should I space the metal posts? I have heard anywhere from 3 to 5 feet but would like to know exactly how far?
Also, after attaching the first section, do I then pull the fence and attach to keep tight?

I bet this is going to be a pain.... :-(

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-03, 02:34 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I traded labor with a fence guy, to learn how to install chain link. He told me that chain link fence has posts set at 10 ft, and all other fencing has posts at 8 ft. Take the length from corner to corner and divide it by 8. Round that to the nearest whole number, and that's the number of spaces beween posts. Then take that number and divide it into your original length, and you'll have the distance between each post for even spacing.

For example, the longest continuous run I put up was 190 ft of 6 ft fence. 190 divided by 8 is 23.75. That rounds up to 24 spaces. Then divide 190 by 24 and you get 7.917 feet. Actually, 7.9 ft is close enough. What is .9 feet? Multiply .9 by 12 inches and and you get 10.8, or 11 inches. So, mark and set your line posts at 7ft-11in intervals, and you'll have nice, even spacing. Otherwise, if you go along and set all your posts at 8 ft centers, when you get to the end you'll be left with a 6 ft space, which will grab your attention every time you look that direction.

Make sure your fence is long enough to reach from corner post to corner post, and then stretch it, using a clamp and a stretcher or a come-along or similar. (I've seen guys stretch fence with tracktors and trucks.) A clamp can be made by sandwiching the fence with a couple of boards and then screwing them together, or by welding some hooks onto a stiff pipe, or some similar method. You might be able to find one at a tractor supply store, or a lumberyard/hardware place, or at a fence supply outfit.The important thing is to spread out the force that you apply with the stretcher. I like to tune mine to the key of "L". You don't want it to sag, but you don't want the wire to stretch either. The object is to remove as much slack as possible. (If the corner posts start to lean toward one another, back off a little. I'm teasing here - be careful not to stretch it too tight, cause it can be dangerous if it breaks.)

After the fence fabric is stretched and attached at the end, it is attached to the line posts.

This is some real general information, but I hope it's enough to get you started in the right direction. At least you now have a starting point from which to ask more specific questions.

Have fun, and good luck.