Help - My Pipe Is Stuck

Old 09-18-03, 11:02 AM
ChaseDavis
Visiting Guest
Help - My Pipe Is Stuck

I hope that I am putting this in the correct place. Here is my question

I am putting together my futon that I have had for a few years. The futon is all steel with 2 wooden side panels. I am sure some of you are familiar with the futon I am speaking for, they are on the less expensive scale.

I have 4 pieces that need to be connected to the futon base. The problem is that 2 of the pieces are connected via a pipe. The pipe is inserted into one piece of the bed frame and then is screwed in place. Then the pipe is inserted into the 2nd piece of the bedframe and turning 2 of the pieces into 1/2 of the bed frame on which the futon matress will lay on. I do this again with the remaining 2 pieces to form the 2nd half of the frame and thus completing the frame and having my furton to sleep on.

Here is the problem. the pipes that connect the frames together fell deep inside the frame and now they are stuck at the end where it is pinched. I have tried hitting the end with a hammer to hopefully knock it loose but have come up empty. I thought about heating the frame and thus expanding the metal but that would ruin the paint and weaken the frame that i am about to lay on. I'm not sure of what other options I have. If anybody knows what I am talking about or think they can help, you help is appreciated. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-03, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
ChaseDavis:

When you say the pipe is stuck inside the frame, is the pipe stuck in another pipe?
If not I am not clear on what the outer piece looks like.

Can these pieces get wet without damaging them?

Old 09-18-03, 12:11 PM
ChaseDavis
Visiting Guest
Yes, the pipe is stuck in another pipe, there is only one opening and I fairly certain that the pieces can get wet without being damaged. The pipe's opening is about 2 inches across.

Old 09-18-03, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator
ChaseDavis:

You could pour a mixture of hot water an a little bit of liquid dish soap into the ends of the two pipes and then try shaking and tapping to persuade them to work loose.

If you had hit the end enough to distort the tubes then this may not work.

Old 09-20-03, 11:05 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The best initial response would have been to invert the pipe and tap the end on the floor. The shock of impact and gravity should have been able to release the internal item.

The item lodged inside, is it solid, or does it have a hole of some sort? If it was threaded, you could attach a piece of threaded rod to it and pull it out. If simply hollow, perhaps an expandable anchor of some sort could be attached. This might also require a length of threaded rod.

You are an adult right? Okay, here is another idea:

Is the trapped item without any openings?
Is the "closed end" truly sealed, or just pinched off? If truly sealed, you would need to drill a small hole for the technique.

Spray a short burst of starting fluid into the "closed" end. Put on your safety equipment, point the open end towards a safe target and bring a match nearby. The resulting explosion should release the trapped item.

Old 09-21-03, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator
How're you making out with your stuck pipe?

ChaseDavis:

Just wondering how it's going.

Just a note to say that the starting fluid suggestion was likely made in jest.
Some have tried this trick to seat tractor tires on rims and have paid dearly for it. Our worker's safety department of the government has regular bulletins of sad cases like this.

Last year it was a farmer who tried to pressurize an old fuel drum to 100 psi to spray chemicals and lost his life.

BE SAFE!

Old 09-21-03, 07:17 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So, I can't talk about potato guns, either?

GregH is correct that starting fluid is a bit harsh. You could use hairspray, or another of the potato gun propellants.

If you could pressurize the closed end with compressed air, that might work.

Old 09-21-03, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator
Steve:

Well, for this site, potato guns are a little off topic.

There is some difference between a potato gun and an open steel cylinder.
Firstly, a potato gun is also a dangerous item, but the ballistics and hardware are different.
Any reliable source for making these will recommend a minimun of schedule 40 pvc pipe. Pipe which is designed to take some pressure.
Also the ballistics are different. A potato gun is loaded with a projectile that seals the barrel, the propellant is sprayed into the chamber and the chamber is sealed. When ignition occurs, combustion of the fuel air mix is limited to the oxygen available in the chamber. That is why if you use one of these weapons, you would notice that generally more propellant doesn't make that much difference to the bang.
The exception is an oversized chamber that will hold more air but we build our weapons from reliable sources, don't we.
An open pipe or even a tractor tire has an unlimited source of oxygen and it is virtually impossible to predict the pressures that will develop.
Just ask the prosecutors that are shutting down the illegal refilling of airbags with gunpowder.

Putting pressure in anything that wasn't designed for it is plain foolhardy and myself and the management of this site would be grossly negligent if we didn't strongly discourage people from doing something as foolish as this.

Old 09-21-03, 04:07 PM
ChaseDavis
Visiting Guest
I want to first thank everyone for their help with this. The end that the pipe is stuck in is pinched and welded shut so there isn't an opening for me to gain access to. I have tried most of your suggestions and came out empty. The material I am working with is not strong enough to place a lot of pressure onto. I stuck the end of the pipes many times and started to put dents into the pipe and making things worse for me in the long run. At this point I just decided to scrap it all and just buy a new frame.

Thanks for your help

Chris