Fabricating snow plow

Old 11-13-03, 09:50 PM
Spoogee
Visiting Guest
Fabricating snow plow

Im fabricating a snow plow for my sears tractor.I cut up a 50 gal drum to make the blade,and what I need is a picture and or diagram of the mechanism responsible for the up and down and the side to side movements, including the handle that raises and lowers the blade.If anyone has an old owners manual or a digital camera to snap a couple of pictures of it, I would appriciate it.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-03, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
DIY fabrication

Spoogee:

I'm sorry no one has anything to offer.
I made a quick Google search and could only find head-on pics that don't show the mechanism.
I am planning to put an 8" plow on my 4x4 project truck when it's finished but found the amount of work involved in making one makes the purchase of an econo plow a good option.
Another project an 8' wide by 20' long tilting trailer was made easier by being able to see the geometry of one similar to what I will make.
I have visited trailer lots for construction ideas and would think you could do do the same for your project.
Keep in mind you will need chains for the rear tires and a counter weight at the back for maximum traction.

Old 11-17-03, 06:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
To actually fabricate all the mechanisms needed to install a plow blade would not nearly be worth it IMO. I tried with limited success. I bought a tractor blade at a yard sale for my 18 horse Craftsman. I used some of the mechanism from the mowing deck to raise and lower the blade. Most tractor blades swivel right at the blade, not up at the controls. My thing was not being able to raise the lade high enough thus pulling alot of snow back with me as I backed up. Remember, this is with a real plow blade for a lawn tractor.
To go through all this trouble for a 55 gal drum blade is fruitless. That thing wil not last at all. The correct blade for a tractor is probably 1/8" - 3/16" thick and they still get beat up. A drum is what, 12ga steel at the most. I get maybe 2 years out of one as a burn barrel.

I love to fabricate and work with steel also but some things are better left alone.