Fixing outside railing?

Old 11-23-03, 02:10 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Fixing outside railing?

Hi,
we recently bought a three family home in Mass,as rental property.
The outside brick steps have a wrought iron railing,wich is a good cond,other than the top pc,wich is rusting through.
Iam going to use a sawzall,cut off the top decrotive metal,and replace them with 1/4 x 1 1/2 wide aluminum.I will cut to fit,but I will be secureing it to 1/8" thk wrought iron.Iam going to bolt through,but wanted to use an epoxy too.Any ideas on this?It will be primed and painted to match after.
I want to minimize the bolts for apperance....Thanks

Old 11-23-03, 05:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If it will be primed and painted why use aluminum? You need a primer suitable for use on aluminum. Also alum is quite a bit more expensive than mild steel.
Maybe you can use steel and have someone weld it so there will be no screws to see.

Old 11-24-03, 04:23 PM
OudeVanDagen
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

Bolting dissimilar metals together without isolation will, especially in your area cause galvanic corrosion. It's not going to happen overnight, but the aluminum and wrought iron combination will accelerate corrosion.

Old 11-30-03, 08:20 AM
Portable Welder
Visiting Guest
I would recommend using steel also and keep it painted it will look better, if the bottom of the top pc. is a chanell you will find that they sell a decorative cap that fits over the chanell. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: