aluminum tubing

Old 12-07-03, 09:57 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
aluminum tubing

I am attempting to make a custom shower rod for an attic bathroom( Knee wall over lenth of tub) I bought a kit which is for an L shaped rod. I need to take the 90 degree bend and make it into a 45 degree bend, and then add a 45 degree bend to the long end( I figure I can use a pipe bender to add this 45) Any hints or sugestions as to taking the 90 to a 45? This is a standard size shower rod, 1" diameter and about 1/16" thick. Thank you for any info..

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-03, 11:11 AM
S
All I can say is "good luck" When tubing is bent it stretches the outside and is almost impossible to bend back with any quality. Sometimes you can do a few degrees but once it is bent to a 90 it is permantly distorted.

Old 12-08-03, 01:29 PM
Lightbulb Oh boy

Pack the tube hard with sand will help some .
Like said sberry27 Good luck here . ED

Old 12-08-03, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
ri7425ck:

Based on my experience bending copper tubing, mostly from 1/4" to 7/8" od you will not reduce the angle of the existing bend.
Like sberry says the material stretches and cannot be shrunk to a smaller radius.
Also, if you try to bend the rod it must fit groove in the bender or it will kink. The aluminum may not be a standard size.

If the bought rod has to be straightened, maybe you could fabricate one from scratch.

Old 12-10-03, 07:54 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Use type L copper pipe and have the pipe finished to match the hardware in the bathroom.