Building Plans

Old 12-27-03, 12:05 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Building Plans

Does anyone know where I can find blueprints for building an engine hoist and an engine stand? I'd like to duplicate the folding ones that Summit Racing sells, but right now I'll settle for basic plans.

I thought to use steel squared tubing with 1/4 inch steel walls, but I'm not sure on proper bracing and such. I plan on making a trip to Harbor Freight tools where they have one on display and taking some measurements and a good look at the design.

Can anyone help me out here? I think it would be far more rewarding to build my own, and possibly cheaper than the $199.95 + shipping from Summit.

Mathius

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-03, 01:01 PM
millertime
Visiting Guest
I saw one in a welding book at my schools library. Try your local library.

Old 12-28-03, 10:55 AM
S
You can build a better one but not a cheaper one. That stuff comes complete including engineering and paint, wheels, pins, cylinder. Most tools are cheaper bought. I have a welding shop and bought one at an auction a while back. I had to replace a couple wheels. A big diesel engine stand that costs a couple thousand instead of couple hundred, same time frame to build, I build the stand, but I would buy the cherry picker for 199.99 plus shipping.

Old 03-02-04, 11:25 AM
M
Ok, I wanna dredge this one back up.... I abandoned the project because of what sberry said about the cost not making it worth it, but what about a hydrolic shop press?

These things are going for like $200.00 minimum for a harbor freight model, but the design seems like some basic steel beams and a hydrolic bottle neck jack. Am I missing something?

Mathius

Old 03-02-04, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Mathius:

Building an engine hoist or a press would be an excellent project if you could scrounge the material for next to nothing.

I have a small supply of assorted steel and picked up an 8 ton longstroke jack to build a hoist. The jack cost me $90.00 CDN.
After putting off the project for some time the place I bought the jack from put their $359.00 folding leg hoist on sale for $222.00!
If you deduct the 90.00 I paid for the jack that made the material worth 132.22. I still would have had to spend about 40.00 on hd wheels which then made the steel in the bought one worth about 92.00. Then you have pins, a hook welding rod and such that would reduce the steel cost to about 75.00.
I figured that if I had built it my steel would have cost me about 125.00, 50.00 dollars more than if I had bought the one on sale and also not taking my time into account.
The store was happy to take the jack back and sell me the sale lift.

So, my point is that if the cost of the finished product isn't important then both things you are asking about would be most excellent projects. If building them cheaper is what you want to do then these types of projects wouldn't allow it.

Maybe you could make a project out of trying to gather a small pile of steel for next to nothing and then trying to find a project to match your inexpensive steel.

A good exersize would be to draw one up using a pre-made one as a guide. then make up a material list and then see how much you can get the steel for.

Old 10-01-04, 03:22 PM
N
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx There a bunch of interesting DIY stuff there and the price is right. Down near the bottom of the page it say he'll draw up ideas that are requested for free if he thinks it will sell.

Advertisements within the forum topics is prohibited. Surveys, Ads, Advertisements, Solicitations to market products, services or requests to hire person(s) to perform work, spam and or chain letters, contests, pyramid schemes, phone or fax numbers, business or email addresses, etc, are not allowed in any forum topics. There Are No Exceptions.

Posts containing URLs which provide members compensation through affiliate programs, sales and/or referrals, rediects, chain letters, contests or pyramid schemes, etc are not allowed.

Doug Aleshire
Super Moderator

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 12-15-04 at 05:07 AM. Reason: No Advertising or Soliciation Allowed