Cast iron pump head

Old 01-06-04, 12:18 PM
jeff moralez
Visiting Guest
Cast iron pump head

I have a limited knowledge of welding cast iron and was hoping someone could give a brother some help.
I have a cracked triplex plunger head that is cast iron and has a hairline crack. I know you are supposed to v the crack with a milling bit or grinder but what I am most curious about are the different rods and nickle content to use. some are different in price and nickle.

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-04, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb pump head

Id v the crack, preheat it and go with brazing it. ED

Old 01-06-04, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Been there done that. (Without success.)

jeff moralez:

By triplex plunger head are you working on a high pressure sprayer pump that has frozen?

Very difficult to weld and hold pressure.

If you try you will need to v it, use nickle rod and preheat untill you strike the arc.

Old 01-07-04, 06:58 AM
jeff moralez
Visiting Guest
Ya I dont have alot of confidence in a welded head but I gotta try.

Thanks for the info.

Old 01-15-04, 01:00 PM
Lightbulb brazing

Helped braz a stroke head on a 20 ton punch press. Took all day with all the preheat and all but its still in one piece and runs ED

Old 01-25-04, 07:04 AM
Portable Welder
Visiting Guest
Both people gave good advise. If you can tear the pump apart so that there are no seals to damage due to heat, I prefer to braze it. if you cannot tear it apart I would use nickle rod, vee- groove the crack is criticle, pre heat is criticle, but not to much pre heat if seals are inside, then weld it or braze it, if it is not taken apart weld only an inch at a time and sharpen the tip on your chipping hammer and lightely peck at the weld this will stress relieve it and act as peening. then weld another inch and repeat.
upon completion I like to post heat it again and peen it some more and let it slowly cool.
Good luck.

Old 01-31-04, 04:58 PM
D
I recently welded my pump head. It had about a 4 inch hairline crack from freezing. So far so good. I wire brushed area, V'd ,preheated just enough to get oils out[didn' want to warp so I left pump bolted to the motor] and then ran a few stringers.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 02-04-04, 05:01 PM
jeff moralez
Visiting Guest
Well I ved it preheated but did not peen it. It leakedv right off the bat so I replaced the pump. Good advice from you guys thanks.