Changing welder settings

Old 01-19-04, 09:43 AM
slider
Visiting Guest
Changing welder settings

I have buddy who told me that it was hard on a MIG to mess with the settings too much. I have found that my Lincoln is pretty close with the suggested settings for a given thickness but I have to make some adjustments to get it where I want it then I leave it alone. Can I damage it this way or is the issue with someone who wants to be constantly fiddling with it instead of finding a sweet spot and leaving it alone?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-04, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
slider:

Those knobs are there to mess with and will in no way harm your machine.
In fact your welder will have less strain if it runs "sweet" all the time. Plus the controls will actually last longer because anything that is unused will degrade sooner.

Only thing is don't adjust while welding.
No need to turn off the machine, just no tweakin' while sparkin'.

Old 01-20-04, 10:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb heat

Like GregH said you can play with it. I find some time on a large weld as the metal gets hot it helps to cut it down just a little as I weld Ed

Old 01-20-04, 10:53 AM
slider
Visiting Guest
Thanks. I thought it sounded a bit odd when he said it.

Old 01-20-04, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
slider:

Before you say anything to your friend maybe you could get him on a friendly bet.

Maybe he will then check his facts before dispensing advice.

Old 01-25-04, 06:44 AM
Portable Welder
Visiting Guest
Here are the facts on a stick welder do not mess with the knobs while welding.
But on a mig welder you set your voltage( which is your heat range) while not welding, with the machine on or of it does'nt matter.
However you can adjust the wire speed while you are welding.

The best way to fine tune your welder for what you are going to weld is to get a pc. of scrap that is the same thickness as what you intend to weld, set your voltage or heat, same thing, bring it over to the weder and with one hand on the wire speed dial and the other hand welding adjust it while welding untill you here a crisp arc. thats the best way that I have found.

What happens if you turn the voltage knob is that it arcs the terminals and will eventually destroy your machine.

Another thing you wonder, how tight should you adjust your drive wheels for the wire, back off the tensioner untill the wire barely feeds and then tighten it untill you cant stop it with your fingers when it comes out the end of the gun. good luck