portable stage

Old 03-02-04, 09:21 AM
scrapiron
Visiting Guest
portable stage

I have been contacted about building a portable stage for a local civic club. Something for bands and festival use. Size approx. 12 ft. by 32 ft. and it should be able to be moved by a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. I was thinking of starting with a mobile home frame and axles, cross members of 3 in. channel, and treated wood decking. Jacks or blocks would be placed at the ends for support when the stage was used and portable safety rails, awning and steps would be included. Any ideas, thoughts, or opinions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-04, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Lightbulb I could imagine me doing something like this and always think of the bad stuff first!

scrapiron:

Sounds like a good project but the first thing I would consider is any possible liability which is a real problem nowadays.
If you are doing this as a buisiness and have liability insurance you are covered.

Another thing is that where I am you are only allowed a maximum width of 8' - 6" on a roadway. Any more requires a special permit and restrictions on the time of day the over-width can travel.

Something on the size, is that after helping my son through his garage band days is that 12' is not that deep for a typical band set-up.
What really messes it up is the amount of room a drum kit takes if that is what they will use it for. You almost need a full 8' from in front of a cymbal stand to the back of the seat, which will really cause a lot of stage congestion. Imagine how many polititions you could line up in 32' though.

Another thing you would have to check is that our highway regulations do not allow mobile home axles to be used for anything but mobile use and the tires on a lot of mobile homes here are not transport rated. This means again that they use special purpose tires for mobile homes.
I have a set of mobile axles and lucked out last fall and located a set of brake drums that will fit my mobile axles, allow me to use the mobile brake set-up and then use a standard 8 bolt truck rim which would be legal here.

Old 03-02-04, 07:15 PM
boardslinger
Visiting Guest
Sounds like a good plan, what's the posibility of using the mobile home frame but cutting it into sections. Use some sort of locking system for instalation. It could be hualed on a seperate trailer. The width does create a problem on roads as mentioned. Also could try a hinge system or peg for quick set up and brake down. Still using sectional system. Just a thought. Good Luck