metal cutting circular saw

Old 03-18-04, 05:26 PM
S
scrapiron
Visiting Guest
metal cutting circular saw

I just read an article about the new metal cutting circular saws in a farm magazine where they were rated highly. They run at slower rpms and use a carbide blade, cost around 300$. Any comments?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-04, 09:02 PM
B
boardslinger
Visiting Guest
My chopsaw works faster than those do, and it cost about $200 cheaper. LOL. Cut anything from 1/8" to 4" like butter.

Old 03-20-04, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Its all in what you want to cut Id say .Iron, alum, steel , bar, tube. Like here on the alum for the screens they just use a plywood blade with some wd 40 on it in a small chopsaw works likr a top.ED

Old 03-21-04, 10:38 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Scrapiron

A chop saw will work fine for most purposes but not equally as well for all intneded usages. The rpm is one factor and the blade the other.

A carbide blade for wood differs from those used for metal. Metal cuttings blades are called ferrous blades. They are designed and built specially for cutting metal. Heat dispersement is critical.

The point is what the intended prupose will be for. All metal (irons, steels, aluminum, etc) cutting may be best to buy the machine mentioned in combo with the ferrous blade it comes with.

For all other purposes, general and or occassional metal cutting, a chop saw and carbide wood cutting blade will do well.

Sharpening tollerances and sharpeness is more critical when wood cutting blades are used on most types of light metal.

Not so on wood but still of high importance for quality cuts. Wood can be sanded or planned rather easily as compared to light metal and or distorted aluminum with ragged edges, etc.

Having the right machine and blade for the intended usage thus becomes important, in my opinion. Based on the experiences as a sharpener and customers I deal with whom cut steel or metal.

Regards and Good Luck, Sharp Advice.
Web Sites Host, Forums Monitor & Sharpening Forum Moderator.
Accurate Power Equipment Company. Complete Saw and Tool Sharpening Services. TCB4U2B2B Enterprises. Sharp Advice Business Management Services.

"Work Shop Safety Is No Accident."
Sharpeners Quote:
"I can sharpen almost anything, except a dull mind."...

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 03-28-04, 12:17 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I've seen the metal cutting circular saws at WESTEC (trade show) and talked to a couple guys that have used them. They love them. They beat the heck out of a die-grinder or a wood circular saw with an abrasive blade. We aren't talking talking about stationary/portable chop saws, these are hand held circular saws. Ive been spoiled at work with a cold saw for bars, angles, etcetera.

Personally, I would not use a wood cutting miter saw with a carbide blade on ferrous metals (steel, iron) because it gets expensive when the saw shop has to replace the missing carbide teeth and I have too much respect for my fingers. But, I have used miter saws all day with a carbide blade for non-ferrous metals (copper, brass, alum, but never never on magnesium). If I remember right, the nonferrous blades are a triple-chip-grind with a negative rake. They work best with a stick lube.

I really discourage anyone from using a wood cutting saw on any metals. I believe that it is more dangerous than cutting wood. If you ever saw someone missing a thumb, you would know what I mean. There are no stupid tools - only stupid people. Saftey first. Only use the saw and blade as it is recommended by the manufacturer.

Phil H