Chepo MIG problems

Old 04-10-04, 05:26 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chepo MIG problems

OK, trying to BUTT weld .043 thick pieces of SM for a patch on my car. I am using a n 115V Italian knock-off MIG welder with .6 wire and argon gas (old model). The problem is everytime i start i go about 1-2 seconds and then the dam wire arcs out or gets welded to the stud tip. What am I doing wrong?? Speed? distance? Power?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-04, 07:51 PM
N
Have you MIG welded before, or is this your first attempt? Have you tried the welder on any other material? MIG welding .043 thick material takes a little bit of practice, so it may not be the welder at fault. If possible, I would try smaller wire, if the welder can handle it. It sounds to me, like its too hot for the thickness.

Nashcat

Old 04-12-04, 05:15 AM
P
Nashcat.............

It has been a loooooooooooong time since I have even done ametuar welding. .6mm wire is the thinnest I can go. I doesn't seem to be too hot for the .043 base material as I get a little readthru on the back of it. My wire speed control only lets it slow down to a point, about 1/2 inch per second in my estimation. Could it be a power problem? This is one of those 115v welders that has a 4 position control for power 1 thur 4 and I have been trying 1 and 2, the visual indicator on these show the "thinner" pieces of metal as opposed to 3 and 4 that show thicker. I am just wondering if its a problem with the welder machine? Any good reference sites on welding how to's???

Old 04-15-04, 04:07 AM
whynot
Visiting Guest
Cheapo Mig Problems

I am relatively new to welding, but this was a problem I have experienced a couple of times. One time it was solved by attaching the ground directly to the piece I was working on (the previous location wasn't "stable" enough) and the other by adjusting the gas (actually turning it on!).