Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Not sure of what you need to use...but PP probably stands for PolyPropelyene

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-09, 09:52 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks

i only recently learned about "plastic welding" it's all good info to see here. soem question i woulda never though of.. an answer to go with 'em!! fabulous! thanks.

Old 10-18-09, 09:47 AM
T
Question plastic welding

I purchased the a plastic welder from Harbor Freight for $80.00it had temp control and internal blower, the best plastic welder they had. I tried using this thing for a week on pvc pipe, taking care of the 3 important points; cleaning, same material and rods, and temp settings, bottom line, I got a refund. Don't know if I had a bad welder or a poorly designed tool (junk). Good thing about Harbor Freight refunds are no problem.
Sears has a Urethane Supply 5600 ht model 6 airless plastic welder. I am wondering if anyone has used this welder with any degree of success.

Old 10-18-09, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
I have a similar welder and have used it with mixed success.

Some materials can not be welded and PVC pipe could be one of them and if you can weld it you need a great deal of practice to get it even half right.
What rod did you use?
The best rod is a piece of the material you are welding.

Old 10-18-09, 02:03 PM
T
plastic welding

I bought rods from harbor freight marked for pvc.

Old 11-07-09, 03:23 PM
K
What type of plastic is this?

Hello I was wondering if any of you can identify this plastic for me and the appropriate type of welder to duplicate what you see in the pictures. What you see in the pictures are jet logs for commercial dredges. The material is 1/2" thick. I was told by another dredger that he made some pontoons out of the same stuff that was 1" thick. He told me the material was lighter than water so it would float. Thanks -Kevin

Old 11-22-09, 08:14 PM
T
plastic welding

Originally Posted by Daxman77 View Post
I have been welding and fabricating plastics for about 7 years. If you guys have any peticular questions, I would be happy to answer them for you.

Dax
how do you distinguish between the different types of plastics? Is there some test to tell which type of rod to use? thanks

Old 02-07-10, 08:41 AM
R
FWIW - Harborfrieght ( HF ) now has an "airless plastic welder" . It looks like a soldering iron with a flat tip . Some unversal plastic welding rods are included. However , this unit does not have thermostat like the Urethane Supply Mini-Weld unit .

see-

Harbor Freight Tools

I am looking for a source to buy threaded HDPE fittings (bungs ) to weld on to HDPE tanks . Can anyone help me ?

Also , Trashman- There is some pretty good information of identifiying plastics at www.urethanesupply.com and use your favore search engine too as there is lot out there .

- Thanks

[

Old 04-18-10, 10:49 AM
P
add an inline thermostat to the $30 HF plastic welder

Originally Posted by rkpatt View Post
FWIW - Harborfrieght ( HF ) now has an "airless plastic welder" . It looks like a soldering iron with a flat tip . Some unversal plastic welding rods are included. However , this unit does not have thermostat like the Urethane Supply Mini-Weld unit .

see-

Harbor Freight Tools

I am looking for a source to buy threaded HDPE fittings (bungs ) to weld on to HDPE tanks . Can anyone help me ?

Also , Trashman- There is some pretty good information of identifiying plastics at Urethane Supply Company - Plastic Repair and Plastic Welders and use your favore search engine too as there is lot out there .

- Thanks

[
I have 2 questions; regarding that very same $30 Harbor Freight plastic welder, given that it does not have a thermostat, does anyone believe it possible to just add a thermostat such as an in-line one used to control the temp. of soldering irons and such? Either way I'm going to probably go that route.

Also, I'm adding 5/8" nylon hose barbs through standard plastic soda bottle caps (modular hydroponics project) and thus far I've had good results with scoring the plastic with a wire-brush, pushing the barb through, then setting it with JB-weld (I love that stuff, soo handy!) But I'm considering getting that $30 HF plastic welder for this, and eventually other tasks. I'm assuming the bottle caps are NOT made of nylon as their different colors and diff. applications, so I'm thusly assuming that I might be out of luck for that. They need moderate structural integrity, but definitely need to "hold water" literally and figuratively. Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone.

Old 09-02-10, 03:31 PM
advise needed can anyone help thanks

I am looking to buy a plastic welder. i am looking for advise on which one will work best for what i want to do. i want to weld pvc rope lighting to itself. can anyone advise as to what welder would be best for this purpose thanks lee

Old 09-12-10, 08:20 PM
A
I read the whole thread. Thanks to all contributors.

I own the HF "Plastic Welding Kit with Air Motor and Temperature Adjustment" item #96712. I have played with it a few times with moderate success. Something I see on demonstrations is a tip that has a tube to feed the rod through and a foot to press the filler with. None of the three tips supplied with this unit looks like this but I would like to try a tip like this. Is this a good idea and if so does anyone know if nay other manufacturer's tip fits the HF unit?

Last edited by GregH; 09-12-10 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Remove link
Old 11-09-10, 05:42 PM
G
Need some help on setup

Went out and bought the Chicago Electric plastic welder at Harbor Freight. Need to weld a crack in my canoe. This particular air welder came without a regulator. I didn't think it would be such a big deal, but I'm having a heck of a time locating a low psi pressure regulator to use with it. Any ideas out there?

Old 11-09-10, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Welcome to our forums!

Any normal regulator should work.

Start out with the regulator set to no flow then connect the welder.
Slowly turn the regulator flow up to a moderate flow through the welder nozzle.
Then plug in the welder to heat up the element then once warmed up control the temperature by tweaking the air flow.

Make sure you always have air flow when the unit is plugged in or else the element will quickly burn out.
Allow the air to run for a few minutes after unplugging so the element cools down.

Old 11-10-10, 11:35 AM
G
Thanks GregH. The more critical piece is probably a temp probe to make sure I am in the correct range. Thanks again.

Old 11-10-10, 05:44 PM
A
Better yet get one of their laser their laser thermometers such as Non-Contact Laser Thermometer. They have cheaper ones but this goes to the highest temperature.

Old 11-11-10, 04:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 43 Posts
Polypropylene:

How To Weld Polypropylene

Old 11-27-10, 11:51 AM
R
air or airless?

I'm looking for advice on wich form of plastic welding is better suited to a particular project. I'm planning on doing an intense custom fabrication project on some ABS bumper covers for my car. I do not yet own any sort of plastic welding system, and I'm looking for advice on which style I should buy, airless or hot air/gas. Will one method provide a more structually sound weld than the other? These bumpers will experience normal daily driving, and at times, speeds in excess of 140mph at the track. I want this to be a one time project that will last. Not something that I'll be always repairing stress cracks on anytime I go too fast. I'm a very accomplished fabricator and welder of all types of metals and alloys, but I've not yet tried my hand at plastic welding. Any input or thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-23-11, 08:03 PM
A
I own the HF "Plastic Welding Kit with Air Motor and Temperature Adjustment" item #96712. I did find a HIGH SPEED WELDING TIP that fits well with this unit. It cost about $70 which is fair compared to other prices I had seem. I bought it from hejet. Now I have to work on my temperature control.

Old 05-16-11, 03:24 PM
T
Thumbs up Plastic Welding

Hey I am new here but not new to plastic welding been doing it for a while now.Its amazing what and what can be welded.As we all know it takes practice to make perfect.Has anyone here ever weld PUR.I have done all the others PVC,ABS,PP,TPO,PA,PC,HDPE,LDPE,you name it but PUR and POM seem to be impossible though I read where it can be welded.Anyone can shed som light. Dax?

Old 05-16-11, 03:28 PM
T
I have been using a hot air welder from Harbour Freight.I have no complaint.I have made a complete conversion on a Mitsubishi 3000GT bumper the darn thing took plenty rods but the end product I am proud of.

Old 09-11-11, 08:13 PM
I
Hi, even though I am new to this website and plastic welding, I still have some invaluable info. On the bottom of the buckets will be symbols which will tell the type of plastic. It is very important to know what type of plastic one is trying to weld. The following websites should help in identifying plastics: Resin identification code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Food Grade Plastic Containers For Brining - The Virtual Weber Bullet

Old 09-11-11, 08:29 PM
I
PP does stand for polypropylene.

Old 09-11-11, 08:59 PM
I
Hi, I could use a good tech number. I want to use as much of plastic welding as possible on my aquaculture projects instead of using traditional pvc primers/glue and adhesives.

Old 03-28-12, 10:44 PM
H
Polypropylene welding with a soldering iron.

Any tips on Polypropylene welding? I intend to use a soldering iron as this is what I have, but I am considering investing in a plastic welder.
What I will be welding is dirtbike plastics. What filler rod do I use? will any type of filler work as long as it is PP or do I have to get that specific type of PP. Cutting strips off is not really an option as I don't want to rob Peter to pay Paul and tear
chunks off my fairing. Thanks