Joining Ferritic and Autenitic Stainless steel

Old 04-12-04, 11:00 AM
scottmcll
Visiting Guest
Joining Ferritic and Autenitic Stainless steel

Hello All, I've designed a stamped metal bowl-like part that I want manufactured in 304 stainless steel which, as I understand it, is austenitic and largely non-magnetic. I want this bowl to be held in place by a magnet so I am looking at having a small circular piece of ferritic stainless spot welded to the underside of the bowl to be in communication with the magnet.

Are there any problems with doing this? Can they be joined by spot welding. Are there any long term dielectric or other potential problems? I will very much appreciate anyone's input on this.

Best Regards, Scott

Old 04-13-04, 05:43 PM
scrapiron
Visiting Guest
In my opinion (stainless is not one of my strong points) there would be no problem with welding the two together but you might, depending on the environment, have a potental problem with rust or corrosion at the weld. Just a guess.

Old 04-22-04, 06:41 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It appears, from looking at the Galvanic Series for Metals, that as long as both types of stainless were active, there would be no problem with joint corrosion. If both types have been passivated, there would be a slight tendency for corrosion, and if either one (but not both) is passivated the tendency to corrode would be greatly increased.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: