Type Of Solder

Old 05-10-04, 04:20 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Stearine core solder-What Is It?

My wife bought a 5lb spool of solder at a garage sale. It says that it is 'STEARINE CORE'. I am familiar with acid core solder, but do not know how this is intended to be used. Does anyone know what stearine is and what it's purpose is in this application?

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 05-10-04 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Duplicate Post-Multiple Forums
Old 05-10-04, 04:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
To the best of my knowlwedge, stearine core solder is used mainly for for architectural metal roofing, flashings, etc. It's pretty specialized stuff. I don't know if it would work to solder typical electrical connections or say, copper tubing.

Chris

Old 05-10-04, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
thiggy:

Stearine core solder is a type of acid core.
It is also a specialty solder used to solder lead sheaths on underground electrical cable and manufacturing lead acid batteries.
Its make up is 35% tin, 64% lead, 1% antimony and trace arsenic.

This is a specialty solder and is not safe for anyone to use except under controlled conditions.
Especially do not use it for plumbing work.

You would do well to dispose of it immediately.

Old 06-06-05, 03:00 PM
T-Square
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

It's safe to use on; electrical connection, heavy gage bare copper wire house or barn lightning arrester systems, stained glass joints, TV & Radio solder connections. It leaves a brown greasy residue, that should be cleaned off the soldered joint, with alcohol, or Ronsonol ie. lighter fluid, naptha.

Stearin is added to soldering pastes.

Like Greg said, it's not to be used on copper water pipes.

If you fish, make sinkers with it! If you Hunt, Blackpower melt it down and cast your own bullets, doing so outside in fresh air and pour into ingot molds to get rid of the Stearic acid. And thank your wife for thinking of you, and bringing it home!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: