MIG/FLUX CORE DC NEG/Dc POS ?? Please Help

Old 07-06-04, 04:48 AM
krause
Visiting Guest
Unhappy MIG/FLUX CORE ??? Once Again

I have a Napa Brand Mig Welder, I bought it of a friend a while back (He is a welder by trade) Who had it set up running argon as the shielding gas. I asked him about running flux cored wire in it and he said you could as is.
I have used flux core wire in it on a few occasions and the welds seem strong just no so pretty. Recently I read you need to change the polarity to DC neg when using flux core wire. Have I harmed my welder by running it like this? Why do you need to change the polarity? And can I continue to run it like this seeing the welder seems to have no provisions to change polarity. I am in the middle of a project and don't want to continue untill I figure this out. Also I could just go buy a bottle of gas but 1) I'm doing my welding outside and have read the flux core is better because the gas will just blow away anf the metal I'm welding is between 1/16 and a 1/4 inch, and the flux core is supposed to be up to the task of the 1/4 inch stuff.

Thanks for any and all the help I can get.

Last edited by krause; 07-07-04 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-06-04, 07:23 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I assume you dont have a manual? I am not going on at great length about why you have to change, but you do need to do fluxcore. Flip the cover up and reverse the ground and gun leads. You probably have to unbolt or unscrew them. You didnt hurt your machine,, I ran across one recently that was used daily for years on the wrong polarity.

Old 07-06-04, 07:36 AM
krause
Visiting Guest
Thanx

I was hoping that was all, Thank you

Old 07-07-04, 11:28 AM
krause
Visiting Guest
Anoth question about the polarity change

You are correct I do not have a manual...My welder is a napa 83-363, I found out these welders were sourced from a Italian company called Cebroa, This is the same company that Daytona Mig sources their welders from. Mine Looks to be very simular if not a exactly the same as their pocket Mig 110, they list this welder as not being flux capable, is their and reason for this other than that it does not have easily accessable connections or are the internals not built in a manner to work consitent with changinging the polarity.

Thanx Again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: