Century Mig Welder

Old 07-16-04, 05:43 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
Century Mig Welder

I have a Century Mig Welder that I require some accessories for welding aluminum for. It appears as though they have been bought by somebody else but I am looking for a supplier who might make a composite roller and a teflon gun liner. I have the part numbers just dont know where to go with them. The Welder is model number 117-037

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-04, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not sure if this will help. I put century mig welder/parts in the search bar and got lots of sites. Not knowing exactly what #'s you are looking for. Hope this helps.

Old 07-17-04, 05:22 AM
W
Century Mig Welder Parts

Good Idea. Ill do that too

Thanks!

Old 07-24-04, 04:38 PM
W
Century Mig Welder Parts

I found the teflon liner at Lowes ( they are Lincoln's retail outlet) But I had to go to Houston (Starr Hydraulics) to get the composite roller. The Lowes people were the most help in this process. Nobody knew where to get the roller until I got them working for me. Hats off to them! Lincoln bought Century, and I suppose they probably just phased out the line for whatever reason. It has been a very good welder for me.

Old 08-02-04, 06:23 PM
W
Century Mig Welder Parts

Originally Posted by majakdragon
Not sure if this will help. I put century mig welder/parts in the search bar and got lots of sites. Not knowing exactly what #'s you are looking for. Hope this helps.
I found my parts at Starr Hydraulics in Houston, and at Lowes. I have a new question. Now that I have the teflon liner that I need to weld aluminum, can I use it for running the steel wire too? Or will the steel wire tear up the teflon lined liner?

Old 10-05-04, 08:51 PM
Jlunchette
Visiting Guest
I need to get that teflon liner and neoprene roller

I need to locate a supplier for the teflon liner and the neoprene wheel for the Century 155gs any ideas?

Old 10-06-04, 02:45 PM
W
liner and wheel

Try Lowes for the liner, and Starr Hydraulics in Houston for the wheel. Both accomodated me very well. If you have problems at a Lowes store, call their 800 number. Make sure you have the correct model number from the serial number plate when you call. Please let me know how you make out!

Old 10-06-04, 08:11 PM
Jlunchette
Visiting Guest
how do I get a hold of Starr Hydraulics in Houston?

Thanks for your reply, but I'm having trouble finding Starr Hydraulics in Houston. Do they have a web site? I'd really like to find that neoprene drive roller, right now I'm using athletic tape around the steel drive roller.

Old 10-07-04, 06:50 AM
W
Starr Hydraulics

the number is around here somewhere, Ill look again...Did you try Directory assistance?

Old 10-07-04, 03:46 PM
W
Century Mig Welder Parts

Star Hydraulics number is 800 925 7741. Good People

Good luck!

(take a look at Muggyweld.com site. THEY are welding aluminum with low heat ocyacetylene special rod.) made it look really simple lol

Old 10-08-04, 03:11 PM
Jlunchette
Visiting Guest
Starr Hydralics

Just got off the phone with Starr Hydralics, would not have found them without your help. They are in my Service Centers booklet along with 1000 others. Have a teflon liner on order also. Making headway with the aluminium welds, much different then steel. Thanks again.

Old 10-08-04, 05:46 PM
W
Century Mig Welder

Glad I could help...It took me a long time to find them myself. Did you get the liner from them too? I had to get mine from Lowes. My teflon roller came without a woodruff key and I had to call them again to get one the right size...Century originals had the key built right into the roller.

Good luck!

Old 10-08-04, 05:49 PM
W
Aluminum Welds

Remember to heat up the aluminum with a propane torch before you try to use the mig. If you lessen the heat difference by doing that. it allows the aluminum wire to bond to the base metal without blowing thru it. (and use the lowest heat range you can get away with!)

Old 10-11-04, 04:55 PM
Jlunchette
Visiting Guest
Which Century welder are you using?

I did quite a bit of aluminium welding over the weekend. I used athletic tape around my steel drive roller and kept my line as straight as possible. I have yet to install a teflon liner and the neoprene drive roller. Many of my welds were surprisingly good, some were ugly (practice, practice). I'm using the 155gs model, they told me it was the most prowerful 110 model. Great results with steel and encouraging results with aluminium. What's a woodruff key?

Old 10-11-04, 05:49 PM
W
Woodruff Key

Boy, I had to think twice about how to explain it. It is a kind of half moon shaped piece of steel about 1/16th inch thick that rides in two slots machined into two parts that are made to fit together vis a vis your drive roller and the motor shaft it it rides on. As I explaned earlier, Century incorportated their key into the steel roller (it was an integral part of the roller itself) but when I got my composite roller it had the female machined slot but no key to lock the the roller and the motor shaft together so the motor could turn the composite roller and drive in the aluminum wire. I called them, they sent me a key, and I was in business. If I had a digital camera I would take a picture of it, but I dont. You can go to any big hardware store and ask one of the clerks to show you one...they usually have a box of assorted sizes and shapes to sell.

Old 10-16-04, 09:09 PM
gcrmcc
Visiting Guest
Cool Century welder parts & acc.

Century welders were recently (october 2003) purchased by The Lincoln Electric Co.. (Lincoln welders) The products are not yet listed on the web, but you may call 1-866-236-0044, ext. 3 if you have questions. Call this number and you will get a Century tech and ask for a manuel or parts and accesories for your welder model #. Should be able to get rollers and liners or whatever you need here.

Old 10-17-04, 06:59 AM
W
Century Mig Welders

Thanks for the note, but I had already found Lincoln and called them. THEY referred me to Lowes for the the parts, and Lowes could get the liner but not the composite roller. LOWES referred me to Star Hydraulics for those. Things do change, and Lincoln may have their act together now..but they didnt last summer. I got a real run around to accomplish my objective. Why dont you try to get a liner and a composite roller from them yourself. You might be surprised by the answer you get on the 800 number!
If theyve changed their customer service shipping on Century Welders Iwould like to know!

Old 10-17-04, 10:51 AM
Jlunchette
Visiting Guest
aluminium welding

I got the neoprene wheel from Starr Hydralics, worked well. I did not seem to need the woodruff key. I obtained the teflon liner from a local welding supply outfit, i feel as though I had better results when I used the steel liner. The aluminium seemed to bunch up in the teflon one. My manual does not mention needing a teflon one. The tip about using the propane torch was invaluable. I live in upstate NY and am working in and out of a unheated garage, without the use of the torch no setting would have worked. As it was I needed high setting to combat the cold and moisture.

Old 10-19-04, 08:48 PM
G
Century welders

In 1999, Century Mfg. Co. and Lincoln Automotive merged
NEW Name is Clore Automotive
They sent me a manual for a welder OCT/2002 Phone number was 800-328-2921 at that Date.
The Clore web site is not complete for the Century items. it only shows a link to Century.(that link just listed)
Let me know if you get the wheel for Aluminum wire and the price. I will like to get a wheel when I fix a welder I got on e-Bay (Snap-On a.k.a. Century welder).
www.cloreautomotive.com
http://www.cloreautomotive.com/site_homeusers.asp
site may not show Century welder at times

The mig gun on my older Century welders are TWICO a good name any welding store should have parts for the TWICO line of guns.

I heard that welding Aluminum requires more amperage than steel. Aluminum sucks the heat from the weld at a faster rate then steel.(aluminum heat sink)
Preheating Aluminum with a propane torch maybe something to try.

Keep to the Duty cycle of your machine.
Some parts inside welders are underrated to save on money and allow for a lighter, size of the machine. 70amp Diodes on my 90amp machine
That is one reason for the 20% duty cycle.
Underrated parts in the welders get Hotter.Requiring a longer cooling off time.

Last edited by GWIZ; 10-19-04 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Add second link to century
Old 10-20-04, 03:46 PM
W
Clore Automotive

I had that number awhile ago. I called them and they referred me to Lincoln directly. Lincoln in turn referred me to Lowes for the liners and and Lowes referred me to Star for the drive rollers. With a Century Model number both of these companies can get you what you need.

Old 10-31-04, 11:14 PM
G
Century welders

Your Right.
I Called Clore Automotive, Got a number to WCTA/ Lincoln 1- 866-236-0044
had to Make two calls to WCTA/Lincoln, to get a parts list.

They said, they don't sell parts to the general public,
gave me this other number A & A Hydraulic 1-800-992-9898 for parts. I will try the number later.
At this point the more sources for parts the better.

Old 11-01-04, 03:08 PM
W
Century Mig Welder

It always amazes me at the hoops some of these large companies put their customers thru to get parts and service. SOMETIMES people remember who took care of them on the older units when they are in the market for a new one...but maybe it is just me...Thank you for the note, (since Im married to a woman, Im seldom right about anything!)