Which welder for tube?

Old 07-18-04, 02:28 PM
soccer2963
Visiting Guest
Which welder for tube?

Hi, i am looking into getting a welder for building motorcycle frames, and gokart frames. Should i get an Arc, or a Mig? And what one is best? I will probably use it just a couple of times a month.

I was thinking of a mig because i will probaly use it for small stuff too. But is a mig good for frames?

Also is there anything for under $300 that is decent?, if not what is good?

Should i use GAS too? I would rather not use gas now because i am a begininer.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-04, 02:51 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
Welder for tubes

I dont pretend to be an expert, but having started out with Oxy/Acetelene moving to a stick welder, and now using a mig, I can tell you first hand that the mig is the way to go. I never used flux coated wire myself. I have always used gas. It pretty much takes care of itself for you on most quality mig units. You have to follow the manual for the right kind of gas, and it is available in small bottles for the occasional user. I have a 200 Amp with multi functions, but I could do just as well with a Lincoln, or a Hobart bench top, as long as it had gas hook ups and the correct voltage. I prefer 220 but they are available in 110. Dont go cheap! You'll use it for a long time. Pay a little more now, or a lot more later!

Good luck!