Which Welder??????????

Old 07-18-04, 02:30 PM
soccer2963
Visiting Guest
Which Welder??????????

Hi, i am looking into getting a welder for building motorcycle frames, and gokart frames. Should i get an Arc, or a Mig? And what one is best? I will probably use it just a couple of times a month.

I was thinking of a mig because i will probaly use it for small stuff too. But is a mig good for frames?

Also is there anything for under $300 that is decent?, if not what is good?

Should i use GAS too? I would rather not use gas now because i am a begininer.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-04, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Talking welders

seeing that u are a beginner i would say to do what i have done. i am only 14 but i am pretty good with an arc adn even better with a mig. if possible do what i did, find a neigbor or friend that owns an arc welder and ask him/her to show you how to properly weld. practice on flat pieces of metal first just making strips of weld and do this for a few days until you can make a nice pretty weld(or at least fairly pretty, cuase thats as far as i got), then practice making welds in corners, vertically and around pipes and/or other round metals. when this skill becomes fairly well then you are ready to get a mig. (by the way it is easier to weld with a mig)first, take into consideration what and where you will be welding, do you have a 220 volt hook up for a welder? if not a ?120? volt hook-up (regular outlet) would be the welder to get. or if u'r looking at metal thicker than 7/16" thick than the 220 volt would be the way to go. the only reason i would say to get a mig welder is this: mig welders make a prettier weld(a mig with a gas bottle looks even prettier), you can still weld metals over 1/2" thick with even a 120 volt welder you would just have to go over it twice. the only thing a 220 volt mig has over a 120 volt is that it can sufficiently weld thick metals with one "go". the 120 volt has this over the 220: can weld even the smallest andt thinest of metals and still weld bigger metals(with two strips of weld) but the biggest thing i think it has over the 220 is the convienence of being able to plug into a regular outlet. its up to you. the arc welder would also work fine, it just wouldnt weld the thin metals and its not such a prety weld as a mig. but it would work just the same. i think its easier to weld with a mig though. you probably will to when you try an arc then a mig. But its up to you and your needs.

Old 07-21-04, 04:02 PM
Anthony B
Visiting Guest
Soccer I wouls suugest that you if u have the money to do both. Arc is a little harder to learn but is a good method and at first I would suggest a filler rod so that you dont get stuck to the metal to much. filler rods are usually a e7014 well at least with my rods. But concering gas shielded vs flux core shield. Definelty go with gas its eaiser to use and requires less work. But with gas you have to have a super clean surface. Flux core is more forgivin on unclean,rusty metals. With flux core wire welding you have to stiolll chip the welds clean and thats no fun. Anyways I believe the best welders are miller. They make strong reliable and good machines for all your welding needs. Anyways I hopeI helped u out a little!!

Old 12-22-04, 08:40 PM
turbinenut
Visiting Guest
What Welder?

Hello Soccer. I have had a bit of experience with welding and I agree with both mancoowner and anthony B. The experience that you will gain using an arc first will be great but the mig or flux core will be much better to use with light metal. Gas sheilding is not so good where there is a little wind so if you're welding outdoors, keep that in mind. Have a look at the welder manufacturers websites. Lincoln and Miller will give you a wealth of information and tips, even some lesssons. Personally, I would choose a mig (that's a wire feed with gas) for any light metal, but you might not want to put the money up if its your first welder. You can likely find a good arc machine for less than a couple of hundred bucks to practice on if you have a 220 outlet. I must say that I am quite impressed with mancoowners tenacity with learning to weld in that manner. I went much the same route. Keep it up!

Old 01-16-05, 04:57 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stay away from those AC buzz boxes... difficult to learn and even then they don't offer good beads or penetration. The only place I have seen them work better than anything else is if you are working with salvage metal that has been magnetized (conveyor belt cull plate and such).

A good DC welder offers good penetration and is fairly easy to learn. Welding rd needs to be stored in DRY conditions other wise the flux will fingernail (the flux is designed to "burn" in the heat of the arc and shield the weld from oxygen). Choosing the wrong rod or poorly stored rod can offer up inclusions and porosity.

MIG is easy to learn. I can't speak for flux core but I do like gas shielding - as someone stated, wind can be a problem but wind can blow away the shielding offered by flux almost as easy. When choosing a MIG machine it is important to check the amperage AND the duty cycle. My best experience is with the Tweeco gun.... you can get a teflon liner for the cable and, with straight argon and lots of practice, you can weld aluminum. MIG is great flatside and uphand. Downhand is a bit ore difficult but not impossible. Overhead, it can be a PITA without lots of practice. You need to pick welder capacity carefully. MIG wire is available in several different sizes. Large wire with a hot welder will give decent penetration in thicker metals... evne then, you will need to realize that you'll need one good root pass and follow up with filler passes and caps.

All the race car fabricators I have talked to prefer TIG (one of my desires is to learn TIG) My understanding is that, once learned, overhead is no more difficult than flatside. Equipment and electrodes are spendy, though.... <SIGH>.

Old 01-22-05, 10:14 AM
bigjon460
Visiting Guest
Exclamation which welder

do not attempt to weld frames with a mig welder. Although possible the fact is that you will not get the strength that will be required. you will have some time to think about this while you are healing. I applaud your desire to learn to weld and a small (135-140) 110volt mig is a great starting point for small jobs (not more than 3/16-1/4 inch) this is the limit of such machines for single pass READ THE MANUALS!!! and do not attempt to do frame work untill you are very profecient