Just got a cheapowelder.

Old 07-27-04, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just got a cheapowelder.

Despite advice to the contrary in these forums, I went ahead and bought a cheapo welder from Harbor Freight for $179.00 (refurbished and made in Italy, model 151 T/2). For the record, Iíve never done any welding nor do I think Iíve ever seen anybody doing welding. I received it today, and after some brief assembly like putting the wheels on, I gave it a try. It needs 230volt 20-amp ac power and has a maximum output of 120 DC amps for welding. I didnít receive the wire I ordered yet but it came with about 20 feet of 23-gauge wire that I think has a flux core. It can use gas but I donít have it. Anyhow, originally the best I could do was to make thousands of tiny BBís. Eventually I was able to run a nice bead that I was pretty proud of. I was trying to copy the bead thatís visible on some of my patio furniture. I didnít do near that well but I was getting better, then I ran out of wire.

Iím a retired EE and plan to do some overload testing on it when I receive the wire and before the 30-day refund expires. If it fails, Iíll let you know.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-04, 04:31 PM
WELD WELD WELD!! I'd get a c25 cylinder and the gas valve. It'll make welding easier and you don't have to deal with the slag. Just make it sound like bacon sizzlin...
I have a buddy who has one of those welders and it's served him well for a few years.

Old 08-07-04, 06:57 AM
D
congradulations on your new purchase

Congradulations on your purchase of a welder. What kind of helmet do you have. dave

Old 08-14-04, 06:32 PM
The welder came with a hand held eye protection device, but it was too difficult to use. A neighbor said just close youíre eyes, advice I didnít take. I bought an automatic adjusting helmet for $49.99 but havenít got it yet, nor have I received the damn wire yet.