14 gauge steel from steelworks

Old 08-03-04, 03:11 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
14 gauge steel from steelworks

I am trying to reinforce my hanging furnace, It is hanging from the ceiling of my garage by threaded rod. I would like to add some earthquake enforcement but can’t seem to find and data on the strength of the steel angles I would like to use. I tried contacting www.steelworks.com which sells in home depot and lowes but they don’t provide load tables. I figure the furnace and ductwork and about 150 lbs, I would like to add a additional set of chains from the ceiling to the heater and run a 14 gauge steel angle underneath (the one you buy with the holes in it.) Will a 14 gauge steel angle hold the weight of 150lbs with the chain connected to it.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-04, 01:06 PM
Letsfixit
Visiting Guest
My guess is nobody has replied because of (1) liability issues, (2) you didn't provide anywhere enough information, (3) this really has to be designed.

From a practical side I'll offer this. Why not just over engineer it and let it go at that? First I'd never trust the angle with holes in it. 2nd there will be a big tendency for the chain/bolts/etc to tear out of the angle iron. I have made various 'devices' over the years to help pull something straight or something out of the ground with my truck. Rod/bolts pulling through thin (under 1/4") material has usually been my weak spots. Big,thick washers help a lot. I have actually snapped 5/16" cheap chain that you buy at Lowes/HD when jerking it with the truck.

In an earthquake I'd say the loading becomes very severe. The ceiling joists in the garage may be the weak point. What's to say the joists won't just split or fall down in the earthquake?

What's holding it up now? 1/4" all thread into some 3/4"x3/4", 1/8" thick angle iron under the furnace then bolted into a short piece of angle iron bolted to the side of a ceiling joist with one bolt at each point?

Picture a platform hanging from a structure with a 200# man jumping up and down on it and trying to get it to swing at the same time. That's a lot of weight/movement.

Square tubing is stronger than angle iron. You can probably loop 5/16" chain through 2" square tubing (1/8" wall?). If its gas I'd worry more about the gas line breaking somewhere and causing a fire. You would also have to securely fasten the furnace to the mechanism. A few sheet metal screws aren't going to do it. I'd run the steel all the way around the furnace and fasten it securely. You need to 'clamp' the furnace somehow to the support structure.

Go down to your local inspections department and ask them what is required to hang a furnace of a certain weight in your earthquake prone area. remember though that they are not responsible if it doesn't work in the event of an earthquake. They can only point to the code. It probably only says what you have already though.

Bottom line, stay away from cheesy angle iron with holes in it. To me it would just be a false sense of security.