getting started

Old 08-13-04, 02:01 PM
Jason_G
Visiting Guest
getting started

I'm interested in welding and want to teach my self since i dont have to extra time to take classes. Are there any books that anyone would reccomend or is it just trial and error. I also need a welder so which one would be the best but not terribly expensive. I want to build things like deer stands, go carts, or just whatever i think of, i want that freedom and know how.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-04, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Trial and error will get you nowhere.

I've been doing that for 30 years and I still can't weld worth a darn.

Here is a link with some information.

I think the best place to start is to go back in this forum and look at previous posts.
There has been a ton of questions and some pretty good answers on what welder to get and other things of interest to someone starting out.

An ac/dc stick welder by a major company is by far the best way to get started imo, but read through the posts and I'm sure you will have a pretty good idea of what it's all about.

Old 08-16-04, 09:47 PM
beatle
Visiting Guest
If you really want to build things such as go-carts and deer stands - take a class. These are things that if your welds were to fail, you could hurt yourself. I've taught myself to a good bit about welding, but that was after learning the basics through instruction, either from old timers or in a class. You can play around all you like, but you will probably end up with some very expensive blobby messes without at least a weekend workshop. Some community colleges have continuing education classes that meet at night, or on weekends. This is a great way to go without enrolling in a technical trade school.