hypertherm 380 plasma plug-in

Old 08-17-04, 07:47 PM
beatle
Visiting Guest
hypertherm 380 plasma plug-in

I just bought a plasma cutter from a racing shop in town. It was traded in on a more powerful model, but should suit my needs fine. After I spent two days shopping for, buying, installing, and wiring an air compressor to run this thing, only then when I tried to plug the thing in did I feel stupid. The thing runs off 115 or 220 with a flip of a switch in the back, but the cord is skinny like a 115, but has a three prong plug with a ground, one blade vert. and one horiz. I've never seen this on a skinny wire and plug and don't quite know what to do with it?! There is no manual, but after two days, I'm ready to fire the thing up, but can't plug it in or even to guess where.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-04, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I've seen those type of receptacles in books. They are to keep you from plugging a higer amperage appliance into a 15 amp circuit. Some medical equipment has similar plugs so they can only be plugged into receptacles that have emergency power.
I'd check the amperage requirements on the cutter and make sure your circuit matches it. Then I'd say it's safe to either change the plug or receptacle.
Sounds really cool

Old 08-20-04, 04:43 PM
megaton
Visiting Guest
This type of receptacle/plug is a NEMA 5-20 configuration. This means that the circuit must be designated for a 20 amp working load. The blade configuration is to keep it from being plugged into a NEMA 5-15 outlet (rated at 15 amps) that is the standard outlet in all homes. NEMA 5-20 outlets are not hard to find, some window unit air conditioners use this configuration. You may be able to find one at your local home center.

Old 08-23-04, 12:02 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If I had 230V I would skip it and change the plug and wire it for 230. It wont be taxing the circuit all the time. Gives double the current down the same wire.