oxy-fuel tanks empty?

Old 08-20-04, 09:31 AM
cj7adam
Visiting Guest
oxy-fuel tanks empty?

How do you determine when your oxy-fuel tanks are low enough to replace? I've heard not to run them empty, but how do you maximize your gas usage without running dangerously low? The weight difference is only like 2-3 lbs between empty and full, and they're strapped to the cart anyway...

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-04, 04:22 PM
megaton
Visiting Guest
You should have two pressure gauges on each of your cylinder regulators, One high pressure and one low pressure. The high pressure gauge shows the amount of pressure still in the cylinder, the low pressure gauge shows regulated pressure to the torch. The high pressure gauge will bottom out before the low pressure gauge due to the high pressure gauge's lowest reading being higher than the low pressure gauges highest reading. My method is to use the cylinder until the high pressure gauge bottoms out. This will insure that you will not completely empty the cylinder.

Old 08-25-04, 06:09 AM
cj7adam
Visiting Guest
Makes sense! Thanks-

Old 08-28-04, 10:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dont forget when you turn off the valve and take off the gauges. BE sure and mark that tank with a big "MT" on it.
So know one else will get it
ED

Old 09-07-04, 06:31 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 619 Votes on 572 Posts
Man am I proud of myself. I only had to read Ed's "MT" advice five times before I got it. I'm improving...

Old 11-29-04, 03:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation most bang for the buck

hey all, red light back again to drop some knowledge on ya. in regards to oxygen tanks you can run them dry. no harm. the biggest thing is most people that hobby weld only have one tank so when that tank goes dry is when you usually need it the most. acetylene tanks on the other hand is a completely different story. acetylene gets completely unstable over pressure of 15 psi., like blow up kind of unstable. now i know alot of you people are reading this and saying "hey, my tank says, such and such a number over 15 psi". well, here is the rest of the story. in an acetylene tank there is dissolved acetone and that keeps the the acetylene stable at higher pressures. that is why you can't run acetylene tanks dry because then you will have the acetone come out at the very end. ruins alot of stuff, avoid that if possible. i change acetylene tanks when they get to around 25 psi just to be safe. another thing is make sure that you keep your acetylene tanks upright at all times. if you tip it over once again the acetone will come out. so make sure you got them tanks chained!!

post ya later.

red light

ps. remember when you change out any tank you need to purge the valve first to remove any dirt that may have collected in the tank valve area (where the regulator screws in). dirt and regulators don't mix. and regulators are expensive.