How to refurbish stainless flatware?

Old 09-18-04, 05:54 PM
mburwen
Visiting Guest
Question How to refurbish stainless flatware?

I have a several pieces of stainless steel flatware that have been gouged and scratched by garbage disposers. The flatware has a satin finish. Can anyone tell me what kind of wheels/abrasives I should use to take out the scratches and restore the finsh?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-04, 06:13 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stainless flatware

If damage is beyond the control of a good metal polish, then it is probably permanent. If you know someone with a grinder/polisher, it may be possible to restore. Usually the disposal damage is so severe that even if you had the option to restore by grinding and polishing that it is not possible. And, certainly, it would probably be cost prohibitive. Stainless flatware tends not to be that expensive and can be replaced. Perhaps you can find a website for the brand that you own and order replacement pieces. I know Oneida has a website.

Never stick your hand into disposal when running, but it might be a good idea to do so before turning disposal on to prevent grinding stainless flatware if it is frequent problem in your household. You can purchase a strainer for the disposal opening that can be removed only when you need to use the disposal. The strainer will act as a guard and prevent anything you don't want from entering disposal.