180 hobart mig or 210 hobart?

Old 09-19-04, 09:12 AM
vision
Visiting Guest
180 hobart mig or 210 hobart?

this will be my first mig and i cant make up my mind on the one that will be best for me.i plan on building a couple of trailers and will also be welding some on atv frames and have plans for a few things with 2 inch square tubing . i can get a hobart 180 for around $600 or a 210 handler for $1000 im just woundering if the extra $400 for the 210 is worth it over the 180 any info would be great!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-04, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
My mig purchase story.

At the time I bought my MM 150 I was debating between the 220 volt MM 150 and the 120 volt MM 130 at similar prices that you are contemplating.
I was perfectly happy with my 240 volt/weld anything, ac buzzbox and only planned on doing light guage work with the mig but splurged and got the bigger one.
Boy I'm glad I did because I now favor the mig with flux core and Co2 for outdoor welding on material up to 3/16" thick.

I've had my MM150 for about ten years and I see what mfr's have done is exagerate output power much like air compressor makers play games with air compressor HP numbers.
The old MM 150 is 220 volt, comes in a full size cabinet on wheels and has a duty cycle similar to today's 200 amp machines.

Just compare the duty cycle at higher amperages for the two machines you are looking at and judge whether or not your needs may grow.

Old 09-19-04, 07:31 PM
vision
Visiting Guest
thanks gregh,ive decided to go ahead with the 210 better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it i guess.

Old 09-26-04, 11:53 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I like the small Hobarts, up to the 180. The HH210 is good in its own right but the best value in the 200A class is the Miller MM210. The HH would be fine where the extra power would be needed in short bursts but the MM is a far superior machine for several reasons. Better actual output, better drive system, better gun for starters.