soldering iron for copper sheeet

Old 10-07-04, 05:40 PM
tamalpais
Visiting Guest
soldering iron for copper sheeet

I am making some copper countertops, and will need to solder some joints here and there. I picked up a 1 1/2 lb iron, but have yet to get/make a furnace to heat it. I have an oxy-acetylene setup, and am thinking of using that - somehow. Soldering iron bench furnaces run about $500 new - so i would like an alternative. I know that the oxy-acetylene toech is quite a bit hotter than the 450 - 500 degrees needed for the iron... anyone have any workarounds?

I know that it's uncool, but I successfully used a torch to weld a test seam. I know, though, that the iron will give a much better result.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-04, 08:35 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
An air-acetylene torch works well to heat up the iron.

Those gas furnaces for soldering irons are available used.

Old 10-10-04, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Well You can build a charcoal pot for them that works the best. If the iron is 1 1/2 lb that would be a 3 lb set, you should have two, so one is always hot for you. Can you make like a can out of say 16 Ga so both irons can go into it Use a big tip on the oxy-acetylene. Cut the flame down to a low one and have it on the irons. Use a 50/ 50 solder and a cut acid or copper flux, clean the irons with some salomoniac. You need two irons cause the copper takes the heat right out of them. You want the copper to get hot so you get a good solder job. Dont use a open flame on copper to solder it . Water pipes yes ,but not sheet copper

Soldering iron bench furnaces run about $500 new -
This is way off for sure Didnt pay anything near that for ours . Its LP and use it in the shope all the time.
Havent looked for it of late but there was a unit that went on prest-o-light set up where the soldering Iron was like the head and the flame was behind it worked very good the iron never got cold on you.

ED