drilling aluminum....

Old 10-19-04, 01:02 PM
volvo13
Visiting Guest
drilling aluminum....

First, If I don't have the right forum please let me know so I can post in the correct one.
Second I just typed all of this and the computer told me I wasn't logged in and erased my post... anyway...

I'm replacing the rear shock of my mountain bike. Two of new bushings do not have the correct inner diameter hole in them.
The old bushings are 5/16" (which I'll check with a caliper before I use big tools) the new bushings are 1/4" inner diameter.
So.. do I just go to home depot and buy a 5/16" carbide bit, run down to the old job and use the drill press to just drill the new bushings out to 5/16"?
Or is this a much more complicated task than I'm imagining it to be. I'm under the impression that if 5/16" is the case that I would need a 5/16" and then I would need an "o" size bit (the next largest off the drill chart) to finish the job.
The bushings do not need to be tapped. They are smooth (bore?) internally.
The bushings to be drilled are small, 5/8" dia lip, 1/2" dia body x 7/16" length.
Anyhelp is greatly appreciated. I like DIY.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-04, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Welcome, sorry your first post messed up.

volvo13

Yes, you surely can drill aluminum but the piece you are working with is fairly small and you will have to be carefull you don't distort it in the vice and try not to let the bit grab.

If you drill a 5/16 hole for a 5/16 pin, you will often have a small bit of overrun that will make the hole a few thou over.
Aluminum is very soft and if the hole is tight, a bit of emery on the ID might loosen it up.
You don't want loose bushings.