propane welding

Old 10-23-04, 04:22 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
propane welding

I have a oxy-acetaline welding outfit.I was thinking of converting to oxy-propane.What do I need to change and how difficult is it to do.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-04, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Converting not that difficult, just need to purchase a few things.

kenco80233,

To convert to propane you would need to purchase a propane regulator and depending on what make of torch you have, either a handle and propane tips/cutting head or just tips to fit your handle.

What make and model of torch do you have?

Keep in mind that propane is less expensive than acetylene but not as hot so you will burn a lot of propane.

Salvage yard folks are usually experienced with this, maybe one will come along?

Old 10-25-04, 07:08 AM
dblcorona
Visiting Guest
Hello,
It really depends on what your using the acetylene for. If you are just doing some cutting and brazing, no problem. If you think you will be doing any oxy-acetylene welding, I would not change. The biggest thing you would have to change is your torch, or tips. The regulator will work on either gas. It is just that your regulator has the warning about using acetylene above 15psi. You can go above that with propane. You also have to adjust the torch to more of an oxidizing flame versus a neutral flame. Hope this helps.