mig welding novice advice

Old 11-02-04, 12:42 PM
mickeydo
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up mig welding novice advice

first of all may i say hello to all of you on this forum,i am a 40 you guy in south wales uk looking to do some light restoration on an old van i bought to pass the winter nights away i would like some advice on the type of mig welding machine (not to costly) and maybe a book to give me some insight into this fine craft,mechanics i can do but have never tried to weld any help will be most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-04, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Smile Welcome!

mickeydo,

Small mig welders have become very popular and I'm sure you would not have any problem finding one to fit your needs.

It may be difficult to recommend a specific brand due to not being sure what is available where you are.

One thing for sure is to get one that comes equipped to use shielding gas and buy one with as high a duty cycle that you can afford.

I would suggest to get a feeling for what it's all about that you can start by going back through the posts in this forum.
There has been a lot of discussion on this topic and I'm sure you will find some usefull information.

Any more questions just ask.

Old 11-07-04, 09:45 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hi mickey, (and everyone else 4 that matter)
i have owned a clarke welder, available from machine mart, for a while.
i find it very easy to use and like you, i am a novice welder (even though i`ve had the welder for 7 years!!!)
i bought it to repair a car, and found it ideal for this purpose.
you should be able to get a decent 100amp upwards for 160 - 200.

Old 11-07-04, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Exchange rate:200 British Pounds is about $443.00 CDN or $371.00 USD.

The only thing I would suggest about purchasing a welder aimed at the home consumer as opposed to a "name brand" one is the availability of consumables and replacement parts which you will surely need.

This is a problem with some units.

Old 11-16-04, 10:28 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hiya,

I bought a Lincoln Pro-Mig 135 from Lowes with the intent of buying a '65 GTO to restore, never bought the GTO, too far gone and waaaaay beyond my skills. It can do up to 1/4" with two passes. For thinner stuff you need gas the 75% Argon 15% Co2 seems to be the choice for general welding (I might have those numbers backwards) it only has a 20% duty cycle but I have not had a problem yet. Plus you can take it wth you (I think you guys over there are 220v??) so I can go to a friends house or something and use it there.

I would buy a machine that can do flux and Mig and 110v (unless you are 220v) but once you move into 220v, it opens a whole range of machines you can buy!! I can get tips and wire at lowes or HD if need be.

I aplogize for speaking as if you lived in the US, Look around at thse types of stores and see what they have as far as supplies.

i will stop rambling now

Bill