Welding Question

Old 11-16-04, 10:25 AM
jjrsmp12
Visiting Guest
Welding Question

I am getting my 1st welder. Not sure what brand yet, but definately the Hobart or Lincoln. I will be welding 1.5" square tubing at .125" thickness. Any suggestions? Also, for those 220V welders, how do you handle welding far away from the outlet? In my case, I am replacing framing in a bus which is around 50 ft from the garage outlets. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-04, 07:12 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 632 Votes on 584 Posts
Since you are welding a thinner material you will not need the amperage cranked up too high so a long extension cord will not be the end of the world. You can make your own cord by buying a coil of house wire (Romex...)(probably #10 or #8 depending on the size of your welder) and put the appropriate plug on each end. It's not as portable as a proper cord, but it's the cheapest way to go.

I assume you will be using Carbon Dioxide. Check with your local Coke, Pepsi or Beer distributor for CO2. Their price is generally much less than what the welding supply stores charge for gas in small quantities. The standard 20 pounds of CO2 that the soda people use will last quite a long time. Just don't tell them you are welding with it, tell them it's for your kegerator...

1/8" thick wall is pretty heavy, I would think 14ga could work, but the 1/8" will be easier to weld without burning through and is certainly stonger.

Old 11-16-04, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
jjrsmp12,

A 220 volt welder would certainly be the way to go if you will be welding away from a receptacle. There will be considerably less voltage drop at the higher voltage.

If you are welding outdoors where there is the slightest breeze you will need to weld with flux cored wire.
I do most of my welding with a mig outdoors and use flux core with co2.

As far as an extension cord, the owners manual of whatever welder you buy will tell you what guage to use.
The use of house wiring as an extension cord is not a good thing to do.
The outer insulation jacket is not very flexible and is easily broken or abraded and is not moisture resistant.
It is subject to abuse because of the fact that the welder will be moved around alot due to the short cable that mig welders have.
The types of cord that are good to use are SJTW or the heavier wall SO type.

So, what kind of framing are you doing on a bus?