Avoiding welding

Old 11-18-04, 03:19 PM
heatherk9
Visiting Guest
Avoiding welding

I thought that would get your attention. Okay metal people. I want a stainless steel countertop, and they are really expensive to have fabricated. So my question is, since I don't have a metal fabricator friend to do a job for me cheaply, is this a good plan:
1) Build 3/4 inch substrate from plywood, and put solid wood trim on the front,
2) Cut 16 gauge stainless to fit substrate, and small strip to trim front lip of counter,
3) lightly scuff bottom surface of stainless,
4) use epoxy to adhere stainless to top and front piece of substrate
5) clamp and dry,
6) used carbide tip in router to trim edges.

I assume if this was possible, I would read about people doing it, but I haven't. So tell, me where is the flaw in my plan? I know I could do it with laminate; why not with metal? Thanks! Heather

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-04, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There are metal laminates available to do what your asking. No its not cheap but I believe it is cheaper than having a stainless steel counter top fabricated.

Also there are no carbide router bits desigined to cut stainless steel. You might be able to use a flapper wheel for a grinder to remove sharp edges and polish the surface up.

Good luck on your project idea and post back.

Old 11-18-04, 05:19 PM
Wink

I think Id get me a sheet of SS . Check it out with a magnet to make sure its a good grade. Lay it out and cut it.call aound and find a sheet metal shop that has a box and pan brake. They should brake it up for you for a few bucks. Id also back it with wood and go for a 18 ga. That router, at the speed they turn at,as soon as it hit the SS it would be done for. Any good drill bit will drill SS for you go at a slow RPM. Also have use the cheap hack saw blades in a slowed down saber saw cuts it real good. When done use a belt buffer on it to polish it and ONLY GO ONE WAY all the time.

My .02 cents
ED

Old 11-20-04, 03:56 PM
Gregg
Visiting Guest
Seems like it would be a very "cold" countertop material and if you ever drop a mug or pan etc from an upper cabinet it will show the dings more than formica would (yes my counter top has small dings).

Best wishes with your project.

Old 11-21-04, 08:32 AM
D
There are a few folks on eBay specializing in stainless kitchen stuff.

A wood backer would make it easier to mount the counter to the cabinet.

A competent sheet metal shop with a box and pan brake should be able to do the basic forming, however the corners would need to be welded shut. Anything like radius corners or edges would drive up the cost quickly.

16 ga stainless would be difficult to dent.