Extension Cord?

Old 11-19-04, 08:15 AM
mambo_yoyo
Visiting Guest
Extension Cord?

I am anxious to get started welding and have my eye on the HH180, but do not have a 220V outlet in the garage. I rent the house, so installing it is not an option. So my question is can I build and extension cord to draw power from the 220V outlet for the range in the kitchen? I'm estimating it will cost me about $75 dollars for the plugs and 25 ft. of heavy guage wire. I was also thinking this might be handy to have even after I have my own garage with 220 if I ever want to weld outside on a vehicle or something. Please tell me if there are any compeling safety reasons or other reasons not to do this. Your advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-04, 08:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
25 feet of cord should not cause a problem as long as it is the proper wire size and the connectors are the proper ones. Make sure the rotation on your welder is correct after connecting it to the outlet. You are also correct on it being handy later. Good luck.

Old 12-24-04, 04:30 AM
The length determines what size wire you need. As length increases you lose power. Most places do not want money tied up in heavy duty wire and the connectors. That means higher overhead. Thus you have to buy the components and put them together. Actually you save moey by not having to pay a stores overhead for stocking them. Good luck.

Old 12-27-04, 11:32 AM
S
The HH180 will run on a number 10 cord and uses a 6-50-R recept.