Arc welding

Old 02-23-05, 01:28 PM
pan2sa
Visiting Guest
Arc welding

Here's the deal..... Of course I'm a newbie. So be gentle in your retorts.

About 6 months ago I bought an Arc welder on eBay, not knowing anything about them other thatn thinking it was a good deal and wanting to learn how to make some small odds and ends in my garage. Now I have this machine that I will need to run 240vlts from the electrical bow with an adapter to provide power to it, as well as not knowing if I have what will be appropriate for what I want to accomplish. Needless to say, a little help and knowledge will be greatly appreciated.

Here's what I got.... a Speedway Series ARC Welder, specs are: 230 Volts, AC, Single Phase, 45-100 amp, auto temp protector, air cooling, stepless current regulation 40a-100a. (If you do a quick search on Ebay, you'll find it relatively easy). Got the thing shipping and all for $65.

Here's what i want to do...... I'm installing a body lift on my full size Bronco and am going to need to extend the transmission link as well as the transfer case shift arm by cutting and welding in a new piece. Also will need to reallocate the bumpers(move them up) since they will now sit low, will this machine as well as this type of welding provide me with the strength that I need? How strong are the welds from an ARC welder?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-05, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
pan2sa,

You may be able to weld the shift arm or transfer case linkage with lots and lots of practice.
The bumper, don't go anywhere near it with that machine and especially no experience.
Really, the only type of material that you can effectively weld with that machine would be tin and maybe chairs.

I know, I have almost the exact same machine.
I bought it at a yard sale for $30.00 CDN in new condition.

I have a mig welder and a large ac stick machine and consider myself an intermediate welder.
That unit however, took all the skill I could muster to strike and maintain a decent arc.

I would suggest you scrounge up some scrap metal and some 1/16" rod and burn away.
After you've burnt up ten pounds or so of rod you will be able to see if welding is for you.
If it works out you can decide if it's something you wish to persue.

Old 02-24-05, 05:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First projects

I weld only occasionally and not as a career, so here are my limitations: nothing that moves under its own power (such as vehicles and airplanes) and nothing upon which human life might depend if the weld breaks.
Welding tables, homemade tools, repairing hinges on dumpsters, etc. are more my speed. I even built some decorative fence panels from square tubing.
Just because I have the equipment that CAN build something does not mean that I have the skill TO build it properly nor the room to STORE it once it is built. I also declined to build a metal tower in someone's back yard.

Old 02-24-05, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Good point IBM!

I failed to mention in addition to welding skill, the art of fabrication is a totally different discipline.
A person needs to have an eye for how things should go together to be strong, lightweight and safe.

This takes experience and another person with SOLID knowledge to critique your approach to a particular design.
You would never be able to do this alone.

An evening course would go a long way.

Old 02-24-05, 07:04 AM
pan2sa
Visiting Guest
I see your point, let me clarify my intentions on the bumpers, I plan to have a friend fabricate mounting plates that will bolt into the existing holes on the frame as well as the bumper mounts, I lust want to weld around to fortify it. Is far as the shift linkage and transfer case shift lever, niether one of those items are under a great deal of stress. I guess my main question really should have been: With the equipment I have and not having the direct skill, would it behoove me spend the extra cash that will be required to be able to power it up, (with mixed results at best) or just take it to a local welder and have them make the welds?

Old 02-24-05, 07:36 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi sound advice
Take it to a welding shop and have them do it.
Ask them guestion as they do the work.
No harm asking advice while you paying for it.
Example:
I had to drywall my house and never don it before, i shop around and found a guy to drywall my house and tape it also.
I watch how he does it and ask lots of question like if big gap what to used
he replied wet tape he showed me how to do it and what tools he used and what the pourpuse. how to tape ceilling, corner, if there a break in the wall and one part of the drywall is higher how to camoflage it with mud and so on.
It cost me 600 for the complet job and man after that i knew what to do in the futur and it paid off big time.

hope this helps

pg

Old 02-24-05, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I weld things as i need to fix/repair them. Railings, lawn cart, decorative stuff,etc. But i will not weld anything that i am going faster then 10mph with. You couldn't pay me to weld something suspension wise on a truck or ATV. If you don't weld as a job or atleast a whole lot, don't tackle huge projects like vehicles. Its a different story if you are welding a new floor pan in or some other sheet metal.