Welding Fumes

Old 02-28-05, 05:45 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Welding Fumes

I have a workshop (detached garage) where i do some small scale mig welding. currently i can only weld for short periods of time because i do not have any way to vent my garage. i have looked into welding hood assemblies but they are awful steep for the average weekend warrior. i am considering two solutions:

first, my garage has a propane furnace that i use to heat it in the winter. i am thinking of replacing the standard air filter with a custom "pack" designed to filter out the "stuff". i am concerned about restricting the airflow to the blower and i am not sure i can run the furnace without running the burner (separate hvac post, most likely)

secondly, i just purchased a big shop-vac that boasts a "hepa" filter. i dont pretend to know the differences in filtration but i wonder if i could use it where i am working.

I have considered a vent fan with flexible pipe, but i am trying to avoid that because it pains me to blow that warm/cool air out into the neighborhood.

any ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-05, 09:25 PM
G
Originally Posted by clardl

any ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated.
You need to remove all poisonous gasses. NOT filter it.

Your going to burn up the oxygen in the room then fill the room with CO2 and carbon monoxide and ???.
The gasses will prevent any clean air from entering the room.
The heated gasses can push out the oxygen removing it from the room.

You need to breath good clean air.
A filter is NOT going to add any oxygen in the room.

Don't weld in in a closed room. very Dangerous.

O remove that Gas can, paint thinner ???

Old 02-28-05, 09:38 PM
Exclamation dress warmly or wait till it is warmer out!!

here is a thread that i started and the following is a quote from it about ventilation.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=189967

the one thing that i see some hobby welders do in an effort to try and close off people is shut themselves in their garage. lets talk about ventilation for a moment. look on any kind of electrode box, stick, wire, whatever and they say that ventilation is very important. welding fumes are toxic and come overcome you in some cases. so try and keep non-authorized people out but remember you need fresh air too. btw, most weld shops are typically 2 stories tall but without the second floor just so they can have the added air space.

being that you are smoking up your garage in such a short time i am going to assume that you are using a flux/slag producing process , example, stick or flux core wire. i can not stress enough how important it is to ventilate any welding fumes out the door or window. filtering this is not going to be possible, atleast in not your case, unless you want to spend thousands of dollars on equipment and filters. you would be better off doing the following:

1) dressing warmly, turning off your furnace while you weld and opening up doors/windows.

2) not dressing warmly, leaving your furnace on and opening up your doors/windows.

3) not welding until you turn off your funace, warmer season.

i'm sorry if the following options are not to your liking, but your safety and long term health you are gambling with.

redlight

Old 03-01-05, 07:10 AM
Exhaust it

Could not agree more that bad air out and good air in is necessary. First, exhaust the fumes. As close to the arc as possible, gotta push it completely out of the enclosed space.
Next, the fresh air must get to your face as directly as possible. An open window on the other side of the room is not going to help when you pass out on the other side of the same room. You need to actually feel fresh air blowing on your face. That smoke will creep up under the welding helmet. If possible, weld on the down-wind side, outside of the garage or in the doorway (with the door open) where fresh air is most readily available.

Want heat? Use a forced-air construction heater OUTSIDE the building and point it at your body. Those fueled with propane are quieter than those that run on #2 diesel or kerosene. If you stand to the side of the air stream (rather than facing it or back to it) it will keep you warmer as well as blowing away the fumes.

There is another concern with welding in the cold: distortion of the metal. The temperature difference between the weld area and the rest of the part may produce more warpage.

Old 06-06-05, 12:22 PM
T-Square
Visiting Guest
In a home weld shop, its a must to have some kind of ventilation. Over the main welding table or area, that is more or less often moved out of place. That you may want to weld your own venting hood for, I built one over my 4'x6' 5/8" thick plate table, that is 3'x5' x 24" high that hangs down on chains from the 10' ceiling. It's a truncated pyramid w/a flat 3/16" thick plate top, with a 4" tubing 3"long welded in, and 4" flex tubing exhausts out a 80 cfm ceiling fan in the roof. It's all made with 3/4" sq. tubing, bottom frame 3x5', top frame 6"x10" and 4 corner tubes connect the two, it's covered with an old green canvas tarp that was cut out to match the shape of each side with sewing seam allowance, at the corners, over the top plate and up the 4" tube 1", and has 2" flaps along each side, and holes at each corner where one welded chain link, pokes through and a snap hook on each ceiling chain attaches, by unhooking a corner at a time, I can lift off the canvas, take off the hose clamped flex tube, take the canvas and run it through the washing machine and dryer. I covered the bottom frame with foam pipe insulation, and when my head happens to hit it, it just swings out of the way, doing no damage to it or my head. While keeping the work area free of smoke and fumes, while heat stays in the garage during the winter from the wood burning stove I made/welded, and converts to fuel oil too! Which keeps the shop toasty (75 degree F.) in winter (15 degree F.) even with the exhaust fan on. I weld, stick 3/16 rod, Mig .035, & flux-core, and Tig. plus Oxy-Acety welding-brazing, cutting/heat treating. Just for my own repairs and hobby stuff, twenty two years of welding full time was enough for me.