co2 or mixed

Old 03-08-05, 09:36 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question co2 or mixed

can any one coment on using c02 or 75/25 mixed? advantages or disadvantages?also would like any feed back on millermatic 210 just got a new one today. need to get a gas bottle andwas wondering wich way to go some one said 85/15 was better but more expensive?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-05, 11:59 AM
Yves514
Visiting Guest
I'm using Autoweld mixture of CO2 (25%) and Argon (75%). As for pros and cons, I don't know. For me, I was told that the Argon mixture would give me a much cleaner weld than 100% CO2. But it's much more expensive for the Argon. I guess that makes sense somehow since I use 100% Argon for aluminum welding which requires a SUPER clean environment.

I know that the recommendations will vary based on the wire you intend on using. I buy Lincoln wire spools and they have various recommended gases for the various products. It also seems that higher amp stuff requires higher Argon levels. ie. 195amp+ with 0.035+ wire sizes seem to recommend 80-95% Argon

Old 03-09-05, 08:17 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I've used tri-mix and 75/25 doing mig on light guage (auto body). At home I use a weldpak 100 and mostly do flux core as changing over is a bother. The flux core is the most difficult (although its .035 and .030 I would assume it'd be easier to controll on thin stuff), the .023 w CO2 is easier and better looking welds and the .023 with 75/25 or tri-mix is the best. I went with co2 that I get at the fire extinquisher store as its quite a bit cheaper. THe arc burns better with mig using the mixed gas than the co2. If you're making money with it use the mix, if it's hobby the co2 works fine.

Old 03-10-05, 06:52 PM
_BobF
Visiting Guest
I haven't used CO2 (yet) but both of the welding books I read say that the CO2 will make a hotter arc. So Argon/CO2 is recommended for thin sheet metal.

Old 03-14-05, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
I originally switched to Co2 because of cost, both the gas and the cylinder lease.
Weld is not quite as pretty as mixed gas but penetration is good I have really no problem with sheet metal.

An added bonus is that after switching gasses I found out that Co2 is compatible with flux core wire and really improves this type of welding on thicker material.