MIG welding

Old 03-19-05, 01:34 PM
perry maurer
Visiting Guest
MIG welding

Anyone have any idea if you can use Helium as a shielding gas, instead of CO2 or Argon? If so, please respond with suggestions and/or tips. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-05, 04:18 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Helium gas

Many years ago when tig welders were relativly new they were called heli-arc machines, because they used helium as a shielding gas. Helium is lighter than air so it does not make a good shielding gas. Argon is heavier than air and makes an excellent shielding gas for tig welding. 75/25 is a mixture of argon and CO2 and does a good job as a cover gas for mild steel welding, it is heavier than air also. CO2 by itself is a good cover gas for mild steel welding. For stainless I would reckomend a tri-mix which has a small amount of helium and the other gases being argon and CO2. I have not looked on the bottles lately to see exactly what is in the tri-mix or the 75/25 but I think I am correct. I have made mistakes before.

Old 04-03-05, 06:46 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Where I work we just changed suppliers of gas. Our new supplier has a mixture of 90% helium 7.5% argon and 2.5% CO2 on our tri-mix that we use for stainless welding with a mig. The purpose of the high helium is to make the weld hotter which will make the weld flatter, or so I am told by the supplier. If we have a little breeze inside the plant we need to protect the weld from it or else we get holes in the weld. I was told by the gas supplier that all gas suppliers have a little different gas mixture on their mixed gasses because all gas suppliers have a little better mixture than their competition. If you want to run helium you may need to run a little higher flow on your gas. If our supplier is correct you will see a little hotter weld, and a little flatter weld. Our last supplier had a different mixture on the tri-mix gas but it was not posted on the bottle, their contents were Helium Argon and nitrous oxide. Different mixes of gasses will give you different characteristics on the weld. There are enough different gas mixtures out there to confuse most anyone.