Extreme Weld Noob

Old 04-14-05, 08:00 PM
Guitarman500
Visiting Guest
Extreme Weld Noob

Welder: MIG WELDER 131 from Chicago electric

Hi my dad got a welder from a local store, we bought it because it had flux core type welding and wanted to give it a try. We set unit up by attaching the ground cable, installing the flux core wire and turning the unit on. well I dont know what I was suppost to expect but when we set it all up and I pulled the trigger, just the flux core wire came out and nothing else. I was told that no gas was needed for this and we have the unit set up to know it doesnt need gas. am I doing something wrong? I just get the wire feed through the end but no heat.

P.s. I am a complete noob, I read the entire manual over and bought proper safety gear.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-05, 09:43 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I dont know about chicago electric migs (Harbor Freight?). Inside where the drive for the flux core wire is there should be a couple of lugs that are attached to your ground clamp lead and your electrode lead(gun). They should be marked + and -. You should be getting about 30 or more volts DC at these lugs with the gun trigger pulled. If not take it back. Nothing will come out when the trigger is pulled by the way (except the wire), unless the wire is makeing a ground (ground clamp on your clean steel work piece and wire coming out of the gun touching the workpiece) the electric arc cannot occur.

Old 04-15-05, 11:18 AM
Guitarman500
Visiting Guest
Nice, Thanks alot. got it working great...off to practice welding.