fiberglass

Old 04-23-05, 05:49 AM
tim_rorer
Visiting Guest
fiberglass

I know this is probably in the wrong area but the "plastic welding" sticky provokes me the ask--when you're fabricating something from one of those auto repair kits (the mat and the resin) if you make something and let it set-up and you want to reinforce it more, will the resin stick if you spread the new layer on or should you rough it up for a better grip or....

Thanks
Tim

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-05, 07:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

First dont know just what you are trying to do here. Do you know if you have polyester resin or epoxy???? You can put epoxy on top of polyester but not polyester on top of Epoxy. yes it pays to sand down the first what you have put on and wipe it down with some Acetone or lacquer thinner. If it sets up on you for a time it gets like a wax on it that you have to get off first then put the next layer on .
If this is a big job you might want to look at http://www.defender.com boat stuff, but they will have all you need to do this glass work.

ED

Old 04-23-05, 04:29 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The typical fiberglass resin for boat and autobody is polyester resin. If you have used type b (bonding resin) on mat you can add more later without sanding if its relatively fresh (like next day) but it would help to sand it with 36G. and definately if old needs to be cleaned and sanded. I believe its finish resin (type a) that leaves a wax coating.