Mig Purchase

Old 04-28-05, 10:59 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Mig Purchase

I am wanting to buy a mig welder for light duty use in the garage, such as welding exhaust pipes together on the family autos, and other light welding jobs, I don't want to spend more that I have to, but I want one that will do the job, I have a stick welder for heavier jobs, I have been looking at a Clarke 180EN, Hobart Handler 180, Lincoln SP175, and a Millermatic 175, all 220 volt I believe. Any thoughts on any or all of these.
I bought a Chicago Electric 110 volt from Harbor Freight several years ago, was worthless for the most part. Thanks

Last edited by Railroader; 04-30-05 at 12:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-05, 01:16 AM
M
I have a 2 yr old Miller 175 240 v I'm perfectly happy with. It does everything I want within reason. I think the most important thing to look for is the variable voltage control so you can dial it in to whatever you're welding.
My $.02 worth,
Mike

Old 04-29-05, 05:13 PM
D
i just got a millermatic 210 with spool gun for alum i luv it. i cant find enough stuff to weld. been asking freinds to break stuff. next on my list is a plasma cutter

Old 04-30-05, 01:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Railroader,

I too get excellent service from my Miller but would say that the Lincoln and Hobart would be good as well.
I think that as important as the make is where you buy it.
The biggest draw back to buying a cheap welder is the difficulty in obtaining support, repair parts and consumables.
Go to a recognized welding supplier where the pros shop, even if you pay a bit more.
It will be worth it.

Old 04-30-05, 04:48 AM
J
I would consider a 110 mig instead. The Hobart 140 or smaller, lincoln weld pak 100, or sp125, etc., or small miller. I agree the imports don't stack up. With 90 amps and flux core you can do 3/16", and 1/8" with solid wire and gas. This is great for any sheet metal (auto body), exhaust, etc. The variable voltage is best but not necessary. The real advantage is being able to take it on the road and do light welding repairs at someone else's house. Since you have a stick you don't need to do 1/4" with the mig. I have a weldpak 100, 225A buzzbox, and an engine driven 200A and the small mig gets used plenty doing handyman biz. I'm not a pro weldor.

Old 05-02-05, 03:01 PM
R
Talking Mig Welder

Well, I decided on the Millermatic 175, should get it in a couple of days, am curious as to how hard it is to weld stainless steel pipe, and what kind of wire is needed. Thanks

Old 05-06-05, 10:10 AM
kevin s
Visiting Guest
For stainless, you will need stainless wire (you knew that).
The recommended gas is a tri-mix of mostly Helium, with a touch of Argon ond CO2. The usual 75%/25% CO2/Argon won't do.

Old 05-08-05, 09:51 AM
D
they also make a flux core stainless wire so i am told by my local amerigas
save you from getting the gas bottle.