Welding current can kill

Old 04-29-05, 08:22 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Welding current can kill

A few years ago a farmer and his son was working on a manure spreader. The son was welding and the dad was underneath working on something. This was a hot summer day with high humidity one of those days when you can't even walk outside without sweating. The ground clamp was clamped to the tongue of the manure spreader. This particular manure spreader had a very rusty tongue so the clamp did not make a very good ground. The dad lying directly on the ground with his sweaty hands on the metal of the manure spreader made a better ground than the ground clamp. The dad was electrocuted. Don't let this happen to you.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-05, 11:00 AM
Well, the OCV for most arc welders if about 80 volts and there is plenty of amperage available. I cannot imagine how the father managed to make a circuit between the ground clamp on the tongue and the stinger.

Old 04-30-05, 12:24 AM
J
This little bit of information was from a newspaper article I read a few years ago. I know I have got shocked by putting an electrode into the holder while I was standing on a wet deck aboard ship. I was not wearing gloves. A friend of mine claims he got a good jolt while leaning against a tractor he was welding on.

Old 05-15-05, 03:12 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
This was always the assumption I've made, I thought it was common sense.

I have to try very hard to not touch the material I'm working on to steady my hand!

Old 05-15-05, 08:21 PM
you don't need to necessarily touch the work that you are welding on. all you need is a cut in the insulation of the stinger and you become the ground. i have done that. it sucks. i flew back about 15 feet and i was out for a while. basically the earth becomes the ground. actually in some examples you don't need a ground clamp hooked up to your work at all. case in point, i hung a part on the paint line where i work. there was a weld that the robot didn't do so well so i hooked up the ground clamp and welded it when it was on the paint line. got the welding done, and unhooked the ground clamp only to look and see that the ground clamp was actually my jumper lead. it wasn't even hooked up to the welder!! the current would flow back through the welder and into the electrical lines feeding the welder. the paint line frame is made out of metal and it is also grounded. there you go, safety first. insulate yourself in any way possible, cuz you do make a good ground.

Old 05-15-05, 08:31 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I always wear gloves anyway, but I still try to make a point not to touch the work.