Lots of Questions

Old 05-11-05, 12:45 PM
Artty
Visiting Guest
Red face Lots of Questions

Hello everyone,

I have just found this site while I was researching welders for art projects. I went through art school and they never bothered to actually teach us how to weld, so then I took a thirty hour course to try a variety of types of welders. I have conculded that I would like a wire feed but I don't know what type or voltage etc I should get. I live on Vancouver Island and I am also looking for scrap yards etc for bying metal. i also no very little about finishing metals etc, but would like to experiement. Does anybody have any suggestions for any of the questions, or for any books that would be useful. I will be needing to get all kinds of tools in the next bit as I would really like to make a real go at this for a section of my income. Thanks Artty

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-05, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Glad you found us Artty!

We will have a lot of answers but more detail in your questions would help.
There are a lot of variables to consider, especially when selecting a welder.
The concensus around here is to stay away from inexpensive welders and try to lean toward Miller, Lincoln and Hobart.
The welder will be the heart of your welding. It would make more sense to skimp on things like clamps and the like.

If you will only be welding thinner materials on a occasional basis then a 120 volt machine may do it.
If you will be welding thicker material or trying to run continuous beads then a larger 220 volt machine may have a duty cycle that would be more suitable.
Also, make sure you get a machine that comes equipped to use shielding gas as you can still run flux core and justy not hook up a bottle.

I would suggest you read through previous posts as there has been a lot of discussion on this very subject.
Here is a link to a thread about selecting welders.

Provide us with more speciific info on what exactly you will be welding and what type of shop and tools yoiu already have.

Old 05-11-05, 02:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Since you intend to derive income from this activity, let's look at the business model as well.

1. Once you are sufficiently stocked with equipment, material and skill using each one, how will you expose your products to potential customers?

2. How much initial investment in time and money are available to be ready to make something for someone?

3. Have you communicated with someone who is already doing what you want to learn to do?