curved railing

Old 06-08-05, 08:17 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
curved railing

I'm trying to figure out the best way to make large radius curves in flat stock (the hard way), channel, and railing. Not tube. I think that most benders are for putting tight bends in tube. Even if you got it to work with flat stock, I think it would just put small kinks in it. I need nice smooth curves in 6' - 20' lentgh pieces. The radius size would range from 6' - 35'. I've been doing wood stair for 15 yrs. and am trying to learn about some of the metal stuff. I don't think that I would be doing the same radius very often and I probably would only bend 10-30 rails a year. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-05, 11:57 AM
i would think that you would need a rolling machine, not a bender. just from what i have seen on tv (american chopper). on tv they roll the pipe for handle bars sometimes. by adjusting the amount of pressure put on the pipe going through the rollers it bends to different radiuses. i have no experience in rollers. i have used a mandrel bender though. hope somebody else can shed more light for ya.

rob "redlight"

Old 06-08-05, 03:14 PM
K
Bending flat stock "the hard way"? 6' to 20' lengths?

If you mean what I think you mean...

!

Very few shops are equipped to do this.

Old 06-13-05, 07:57 PM
S
I think a ring roll bender will do the trick. E-bay has a VERY cheap manual one for sale all over (tool america). Has any one used this, is it worth a damn. It is A LOT cheaper than any thing else I've seen