Think about doing my own welding - ADVICE please!

Old 06-16-05, 07:00 AM
smburgess
Visiting Guest
Think about doing my own welding - ADVICE please!

I have a lawn care company and frenquently need have equipment that ends up with cracks (decks mostly), broken handles, angle iron, etc. welded. Mostly on the mowers (commercial walkbehinds and "Z" mowers). It's always an inconvience to pull the equipment out of service and run it down to the welder (hopefully he can weld it right then and there, but usually I have to leave it for a day or two).

I'm giving the above info to help show what my need would be and what welding system I should be looking at. The local welding suppy sometimes has a safety class that I would attend, and the counter person there told me I should look at a MIG. He said it should handle anything I might run across and it has a quick learning curve. I really don't want to learn different types of welding that I probally won't ever use, just what I need to fix my equipment. I'm sure there would still be something that would pop up that I would have to take to the welder, I'm looking to take care of 90% of the welding myself!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks - Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-05, 07:09 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Steve - I have a Hobart 175 MIG outfit that handles just about anything that I need here at my little farm. I weld everything from 20 ga. sheetmetal to 1/4" plate. The new models are pretty much trouble free and are easy to learn to operate. Mine requires 220V. single phase power but the smaller ones can run on typical 110V. house current.

The flux core welding wire works very well for most situations. I use the solid wire in the small diameter for sheetmetal welding. When you use the solid wire you will have to also use the inerting gas while welding. The gas welding makes a neater job and controls the spatter somewhat but both work fine for me.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-19-05, 10:26 PM
h nu
Visiting Guest
I would look at a 110v welder. I have a little 110v Hobart 135 that does 1/4 pretty good. Its best with 1/8 or less. I would invest in a small cylinder, rather than flux cored. They don't cost that much, but for such a small tank, I would just buy it, rather than renting it.

Oh... and get a $20-40 angle grinder too.

Old 06-22-05, 11:48 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I agree with the 110v mig being more than sufficient, and portable allowing you to do minor welding jobs anywhere there is electricity. One problem you'll run into with the thin guage repairs is they are frequently worn thru with rust. Brazing a backing piece of sheet metal will stiffen the area and replace the rusted stuff's strength. I've used a turbo torch (propane) and brazing rod to reinforce briggs @ S. engine covers where the pull start stresses and cracks them. So a mig will weld sheetmetal and up to 1/4" well but you need some skill trying to weld rusted paper thin pieces. I use both flux core and mig (gas-co2) and flux core is mostly used in my case.

Old 06-29-05, 06:01 PM
smburgess
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your advice!

Thanks for your advice. I bought a Hobart 140 and it's working out great so far.

Thanks again - Steve