Sheet metal question?

Old 06-23-05, 07:20 PM
allpronto
Visiting Guest
Sheet metal question?

I was curious if anyone had any advice on types of sheet metal. I have a millermatic 210 and am learning to shape metal. Question is what type of sheet metal would be good for mig welding and shaping. I am just learning to weld, so I will be making boxs, bowls, trying to learn gas tanks and fender for motorcycles in the future. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Chris.

One more question. I am looking to build a welding table and wanted to know if there was anything special I should do to the table before welding. I was going to buy a piece of 1/4 or 1/2 in. plate for the top. I would like it to be 3x6 foot or so. I figured I would get plenty of room and a good solid work space for anything else also. I know there is a weight issue. Any ideas? Thanks again guys.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-05, 12:39 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
One source for cheap sheet metal I've always used us junk cars. Working in autobody there were plenty of hoods,etc to scavenge. You have to air chisel the reinforceing brackets and grind the paint off but you can get fairly large pieces. It's high carbon steel. I would see if the junk yard will give the damaged stuff for free and start cutting it up and practice your mig welding. Making gas tanks is very difficult because the welds have to be flawless. I found brazing them to seal it after welding (for strength) worked best. Make sure every thing to be welded is cleaned well (grind to fresh steel)

Old 06-26-05, 05:22 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your welding bench is a great idea. If you can, don't go any lighter than 1/2" carbon steel. 3/4" to 1" is even better. The weight is a benifit because I'm sure you'll be using this bench for more than just welding and a good sturdy and stable working surface is very valuable. Also all welding benches will get spatter and small welds on them. The only good way to remove this debris is to use an angle grinder with a metal sanding disk attached. You will probably find a need to use your bench as a weldable base for jigs, forms, and other framework that will be temporarily welded to the bench to hold things in place while the item is being worked upon. After the item is complete you either grind off or break off these temporary welds to remove your item. That's when you will really appreciate a heavy duty bench. It's also a good idea to anchor your bench legs to the floor.

You can attach your welding machine grounding lead to a leg of the bench and the steel leg and bench-top will eliminate the need for attaching your grounding lead to each item (sometimes).

Good luck and have fun.